My Hazy Little is breathing heavy, lethargic and has redness on face…

Jamifen

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2020
B6A191F8-7FD3-48F0-9FD9-76C32F582912.jpeg
32265402-946A-4705-8FBF-C9BBF1683C94.jpeg
Found my poor Hazy Little Thing, lethargic and breathing heavy this morning, but she was fine yesterday. Brought her inside and I’m isolating and administering water with electrolytes, ACV, and vitamins. Noticed this redness around her eyes. Can anyone advise what this is and how to treat. Wondering if I should dose her with some topical ivermectin, for possible mites, but we’ve never experienced mites before, so I’m unsure of how to diagnose? I really am wanting some solid advice. Thank you so much!
FYI, she is four months, old, and part of a flock of 30.

Attachments

• 358B3EF7-3D97-4827-80FE-611BD408CF28.jpeg
    358B3EF7-3D97-4827-80FE-611BD408CF28.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 6
Looks like she has some injury around the eye, can you examine her more closely to see if that's a cut/peck wound? If it is, then swab it clean with saline and put a dab of triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds.

Check that her crop is emptying overnight. Offer her some electrolytes or a bit of sugar water. Once she's drinking, give offer wet soupy feed.

Looking her over for other wounds/injuries would be a good idea, while you are looking through her feathers, see if there's any bugs crawling around, look around the vent, under the wings, etc.

Get some photos of her poop as well.

Looks like she has some injury around the eye, can you examine her more closely to see if that's a cut/peck wound? If it is, then swab it clean with saline and put a dab of triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds.

Check that her crop is emptying overnight. Offer her some electrolytes or a bit of sugar water. Once she's drinking, give offer wet soupy feed.

Looking her over for other wounds/injuries would be a good idea, while you are looking through her feathers, see if there's any bugs crawling around, look around the vent, under the wings, etc.

Thank you! I believe I have a young roo who is beginning to attack my hens, and this is probably the source of injury. I noticed his aggression this morning with another hen.

Thank you! I believe I have a young roo who is beginning to attack my hens, and this is probably the source of injury. I noticed his aggression this morning with another hen.
Time to separate him before the pullets get seriously hurt.
Her wounds already speak of rather violent/overly aggressive behaviour.

Maybe even try to find him a new home in case you wanted to raise pullets only.

Time to separate him before the pullets get seriously hurt.
Her wounds already speak of rather violent/overly aggressive behaviour.

Maybe even try to find him a new home in case you wanted to raise pullets only.
Yes, he and another are going bye bye asap. Personally, I can't cull and eat my feathered friends. However, I know someone who will either keep them or consume them, depending on her needs. Thank you!

I got her to drink some water with vitamins in it last night, and she has eaten a little bit. She really feels bony and slightly emaciated. It’s super hot here, so I’m wondering if she’s also a little dehydrated. We have shade cloth, and multiple misters and fans keeping their run cool all day. There’s plenty of water available to them all around their run in multiple spots. I’ve heard mixed opinions on supplementing with electrolytes. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Do you have any tips for getting through those thick feathers to look for the bugs? She’s fully feathered, and not missing any patches at all. Her feathers are so thick, I can’t see her skin. Following is a photo of her poop from this morning. Thank you so much for your advice and help!
A43156F0-3104-4B70-97EC-0D804A3E8BE2.jpeg

I would definitely work on hydration.
You can give electrolytes for a few hours, then switch to plain cool water.

If you have more than one cockerel, sometimes they can be real bullies and gang up on the more timid pullets who will end up hiding most of the time. When this happens, the pullets will go without food/water.

Separating the boys out from the pullets may make it more peaceful for everyone. Even if you don't have homes lined up, the boys can be put in their own area.

To look through feathers, I just lift them or push them aside to see to the skin.

You could feed her some scrambled eggs to help rebuilding her strength.
And better check the other pullets as well for emaciation as the plumage will hide their boniness quite well.

I would definitely work on hydration.
You can give electrolytes for a few hours, then switch to plain cool water.

If you have more than one cockerel, sometimes they can be real bullies and gang up on the more timid pullets who will end up hiding most of the time. When this happens, the pullets will go without food/water.

Separating the boys out from the pullets may make it more peaceful for everyone. Even if you don't have homes lined up, the boys can be put in their own area.

To look through feathers, I just lift them or push them aside to see to the skin.
Thank you for your help. Sadly, she passed tonight. She was my favorite, and I’m really heartbroken right oiw. Sometimes this is a really frustrating passion to follow.😭

Back
Top Bottom