Handling chicks

CTratterriers

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2012
Wallingford CT
As you know, I just acquired my first chicks yesterday. I really want them to be very friendly. My question is, how often should I be handling them? They are currently living in the laundry room which is frequented often as it has the door to the backyard. Our backdoor is open all the time when it's nice out so the dogs can come and go as they please. Every time I go in that room, as long as the chicks are up I play with them.

Thank you in advance for all feedback.

Strawberries and grapes! they went and still go crazy for them! make sure they are bite size and they might not want them at first (its new to them, might take a day or two)

Also sometimes i mash strawberries into plain yogurt too. They really like that one but step back! the yogurt starts flying
ep.gif

When my chickens were chicks, I picked them up and handled them everyday. I would sometimes give them plain yogurt or small pieces of fruit. and they would go crazy for it! Now that they are adults, I cant keep them off of me when I go out to the coop. They are very nosy and all up in my business. They also come when I call and follow me (in hopes of a treat lol)

At first they will be scared of you but as time goes on they will start wanting attention from you.

When my chickens were chicks, I picked them up and handled them everyday. I would sometimes give them plain yogurt or small pieces of fruit. and they would go crazy for it! Now that they are adults, I cant keep them off of me when I go out to the coop. They are very nosy and all up in my business. They also come when I call and follow me (in hopes of a treat lol)

At first they will be scared of you but as time goes on they will start wanting attention from you.
Actually I want them to want to be with me. I realize that in a few weeks they will start living outside but I want them to want me. Geez that sounds so corny! LOL

The Barrds have no fear, they come over as soon as I put my hand in the tub. The Cochins shy away from it.

What kind of fruit did you give them? Did it make their poop runny?

Thank you for your input.

As to the poop... I never saw anything abnormal.

Do the fruit and yogurt in small portions multiple times (more interaction and makes them look forward to you)

Strawberries and grapes! they went and still go crazy for them! make sure they are bite size and they might not want them at first (its new to them, might take a day or two)

Also sometimes i mash strawberries into plain yogurt too. They really like that one but step back! the yogurt starts flying
ep.gif
how much of treats can you give to the chicks at a time. I have nine 16 day old chicks and also want them to be really excited when I (or anyone really) comes to visit them... thanks!

My BR(only have 1) is definitely more into me than any of my other chick breeds(I have all sorts of breeds and mixes). So maybe it is breed related. I handle my babies everyday(they are 2 weeks old) and they squawk and don't seem to really enjoy it. I know mine like boiled egg and cherry tomatoes. Mine were not crazy about spinach or celery. I hear watermelon is a love among them. I did try grapes and they weren't impressed but maybe I will try again. Mine also REALLY like meal worms! At first they were afraid of them--which cracked me up but then when one got brave the rest went crazy for them!!!

how much of treats can you give to the chicks at a time. I have nine 16 day old chicks and also want them to be really excited when I (or anyone really) comes to visit them... thanks!

Go slow at first. Since yours are that young, mash strawberries into some plain yogurt. I held a spoon above them and let them eat it off the spoon (it cut down on the mess). Since you are the "mom" its up to you to judge how much to treat. Maybe a good ratio to work with right now is 1 strawberry per chick. or like 2 grapes per chick.

I give all "extra ripe" fruit to my chickens. None have ever shown sickness from too much.

Back
Top Bottom