Handling very young pet chicks: Yea or Nay?

Well, when my family first got chickens, I was very young, but I don't remember not being allowed to hold chicks. We didn't get chicks until I was a little older, though, but we have small kids around a lot.

Reading that list of 'safe-handling instructions', I don't agree with most/all of the precautions. Basically the 'precautions' I take (that I've never thought of as such) are:
- wash hands before handling chicks, where possible (if a chick has escaped the brooder, there mightn't be time to wash hands first). I don't use sanitiser, just soap and water like a would normally.
- wash hands after handling chicks, especially if they've pooped on you or you plan to eat directly after
- nuzzle with a closed mouth, not an open one. Actually this is more because I'm afraid of scaring the chicks.
- if you're sitting with them on your lap, put a towel underneath the chick so it doesn't poop on your clothes
- I would be inclined to hold the chick myself for small children and just let them pat it, or put it on their lap and watch them to make sure they don't squeeze the chick. Also make sure the child has washed hands before and after (okay, so I'm obsessed about clean hands at any time)

As the chickens get older, I'm not so obsessed about hand-washing or small-children-holding-chick. I guess I'm worried about giving germs to little chicks, but bigger ones can handle it better, especially after they've got feathers, they're big and fairly hardy.

Oh, and I agree about not keeping them somewhere were food is prepared, but keeping them in a main living area is fine, I think, as long as someone's not going to be driven mad by the peeping.

Of course, I'm not a professional or anything, but my family's had chickens for as long as I can remember, and chicks on and off since I was about 6. Most of what I know is experience from that, and what I've said is basically what I've done, and I've never had any chicks or chickens die on my from handling or germs - in fact, I've only had one chick die on me and I never touched it, it hatched looking ill and weak, and the chickens that have died have either been very old, overheated, or taken by foxes.

I do a lot of what I call 'chicken therapy' with the autistic kids I babysit. It's not a real therapy but I think it should be, or at least animal therapy. I was a little worried at first about them being rough, but autistic chidlren and little children are very empathetic and caring about animals, and won't intentionally do anything to hurt it. That's not to say that they might unintentionally grip to tightly, so you've got to watch out for that, but generally they're gentler with animals than they might be with toys. If you're really worried about kids squeezing the chicks too tightly and hurting them, just hold the chick yourself and tell the child to only pat.

from Rachel.

I always spend daily cuddling time with my chicks. They've grown up now, and I still spend daily cuddling time with them.

All but my Wyandottes adore being hugged and kissed as much as I care to.

If you want lovable pets instead of simply layers, lavish hugs and kisses on them!

I took my chicks & ducklings to my son's Headstart class last week and the only one allowed to touch them was MY son. Their teacher told me the "higher ups" had said the kids couldn't touch them because of salmonella & other diseases chicks can carry. All I can say about that situation is this: Those "higher ups" made these kids miss out on a great learning experience. If they had been allowed to touch them I could have shown them the differences in feather textures, leg & eye colors and most important; that chicks & ducks are nothing to be afraid of. All they did was teach these kids to be afraid to touch animals because they "might get germs" when all that was necessary was for these kids to go wash their hands when they were finished handling them.

My own children, as well as near a dozen neighbor children, have been handling these babies for almost a month now (since the day I got them) and I know they rarely wash their hands after unless I catch them handling them & remind them to wash. Not a single child has gotten sick and the youngest child was not even 2 yet.

I took my chicks & ducklings to my son's Headstart class last week and the only one allowed to touch them was MY son. Their teacher told me the "higher ups" had said the kids couldn't touch them because of salmonella & other diseases chicks can carry. All I can say about that situation is this: Those "higher ups" made these kids miss out on a great learning experience. If they had been allowed to touch them I could have shown them the differences in feather textures, leg & eye colors and most important; that chicks & ducks are nothing to be afraid of. All they did was teach these kids to be afraid to touch animals because they "might get germs" when all that was necessary was for these kids to go wash their hands when they were finished handling them.
This is exactly why I'm glad I brought this subject up on here. Not knowing anything really about raising chickens and reading that on the websites and such, it just makes me wonder why it's worded so strongly. And thats what made me second guess getting into the hobby. If all it is is just a simple hand washing after handling then I'm all for it.

I think all children should be raised in a germ free. padded bubble. *nods* Only, NOT. The idea of keeping kids *safe* from "evil germs that will KILL YOU IN .2 SECONDS!!" just annoys me. The hand sanitizers, fear of a little exposure to *dirt*, fear of germs... all of the phobias that are so prevalent now....this is why we have super bugs that WILL kill you. They evolve, they change, they get stronger while we get weaker. Give your kids a chick to hold, let them roll in the grass, let them eat a bug when they are a baby, go to a cookout and let them eat that hotdog that fell on the ground. They will live. *LOL*

I agree with common sense hand washing before and after handling baby chicks...or chickens in general. Not only are you being clean for yourself, you're not as likely to pass your cold or something on to your birds. Soap and water is your friend. Paranoia is not.

Let those little ones play with those peeps! They'll all have a good time :D

Odd question:

How much is *enough*?

I work most of the day and'll likely only be able to check in on my chicks in the morning (to feed and water them) and the evening (to make sure the water's fresh, clean the brooder, and handle them).

Will that be enough to get them acclimated?
We have 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Welsummers due next week and I don't want them to be basket cases
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Even if your not necessarily holding them, maybe take them out and let them walk in your midst in a safe area. I "tidbit" call to them and get them to pick at bugs and things I find and they end up still coming to it as adults.

You can try some treats. They love crikets and meal worms but check with the feed store first to see if they are to young. I got some of my chickens when they were fully grown and rescued because they were bullies. They responded well to treats and sweet talk. Witht the chicks I shush them and speak softly to them and hold one hand over them so they feel protected. I have a bunch of chicks right now and some are just a little more skitish than others and some are flat out whiny. I think those are the boys because they are so needy.

We just brought home some little ones this weekend. Marans variety pack- between 2 -4 weeks old (between all ten of them) and they are terrified of people. Any time you walk by the brooder, they startle. I have been handling them, but they still tremble when I do. I feel bad that they start trembling, breathing heavy- one even chirps like crazy as if it is being hurt. I want them to be as friendly as my other "babies" , who are older now. Our last batch of babies we brought home were 9 weeks old and that took weeks for them to be ok in the presence of me. Still not overly friendly, but they are coming around. But the little ones..... it is tough when you don't want to stress them too much. Maybe I'll just have to really prove that I am the crazy chicken lady (my current nickname) and start bringing them into the house. I could hold one for large amounts of time during the day..... hmm..... how would my hubby feel about that..... guess we'll have to see!
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom