Hands on hatching and help

yuckyuck.gif

Not to mention the thread's comic relief......lol
Well, you know what they say.....if you can't hatch an egg, get out there on stage and lay one! (Um, I don't think they really say that, but they might have if they'd thought of it!)

Last edited:
So, I just went in to candle and mark air cells and up the humidity for lockdown and I have 2 internal pips and 2 that are pushing up into the cell, but doesn't look like they're all the way in yet. A few more that are drawn down and half that aren't yet.  There's a couple, especially one, that I am not having a good feeling about. So it looks like this one will be early as well. I just hope it's a good turn out, cause these eggs are my hardest ones.

What are you hatching (I just joined here so I'm lost :oops: ) I have WH eggs going into lockdown tomorrow.

What are you hatching (I just joined here so I'm lost
hide.gif
) I have WH eggs going into lockdown tomorrow.
They are my green shell nn's eggs. Momma is nn/ee and her daughter looks just like her and has a mix roo daddy. They are my trouble eggs. Thicker shells, more problems. Half of them are fathered by my mix roo and the other half are fathered by my spitzhauben roo.

As of 8:00 am tomorrow I am on Day 18 with 14 Silkie eggs. 14!! That's unreal. I have a granddaugher who just wanted a Silkie - but it didn't hatch. So I ordered a dozen Silkie eggs from @RubyNala97 and even though I said extras weren't necessary, she sent 4 more. I broke one, one had a blood ring, but I have 14 ballet dancers inside those other shells. Uh oh. I hope Katiebug really, really likes Silkies!!
th.gif

As of 8:00 am tomorrow I am on Day 18 with 14 Silkie eggs. 14!! That's unreal. I have a granddaugher who just wanted a Silkie - but it didn't hatch. So I ordered a dozen Silkie eggs from @RubyNala97 and even though I said extras weren't necessary, she sent 4 more. I broke one, one had a blood ring, but I have 14 ballet dancers inside those other shells. Uh oh. I hope Katiebug really, really likes Silkies!!
th.gif
She will really really like these silkies.....lol

Yes, I do have them in an auto turner- I am not home at turning times for several days out of the week. I did not turn it on though for 3 days. Is that okay? :fl (Bubbles is truly not a good thing- I had an attack rooster named bubbles! :lau) Daww! :love -Banti
I think the auto turner is what made the cells get worse. Are these the ones showing development?
Of course you have to try again! He's beautiful! Love the solid black bill and nail. And those pretty little chest feathers! Did I tell yall that my duck is sitting on eggs? Probably! lol She had 15, I pulled 4 clear last night, but 11 going strong. Not for the photo quality or anything, but this may be my favorite candling pic ever, just because its the very first time I ever checked an egg that a broody is sitting on. My duck.
That is sooo cool!! Awesome pic!!
Going in just a few to to take your box to the PO... I don't go early cuz the truck doesn't leave for Nashville til late... And have super good news for you!! My earlier laid eggs I had a lot of clears, probably from the drake change, but the last 3 days worth of the set are 100% fertile!! I included all eggs laid, a couple aren't the best shape/quality but figured I'd rather give you the best chances and send them too... In other news, I have a very strange Call egg developing... gonna try to get a vid later, cuz pic won't show it...
I'm so excited! I hope i get at least one more baby. With that being my expectation, I hope I'm surprised. But seriously I would be happy with just one more of yours so my little one could have a friend. Lady with the local is flaking, so we'll see!
Not sure why I didn't know of this thread before but you guys are my people :D I'm always helping, candling, opening the incubator during hatch if a chick is stuck, etc.
Hi Pyxis! (My auto correct knows your screen name, so funny!)
:frow hi everyone! I'm 12 days behind in the thread
1f62e.png
Maybe I'll get caught up someday lol. Long story short- I got a concussion out in the barn on the 6th and have been slowly recovering and getting back to "normal" After an ER visit, multiple CT scans and Dr visits later, doing ok thankfully. My chicks hatched on the 11th and despite feeling like crap I did manage to help a couple malpositioned babies out who were definitely ready- not a speck of blood to be found in those shells during the assists. I had an amazing hatch overall on 2 sets of shipped eggs! 13 of 16 BBS mottled bantam Cochins hatched :yiipchick These eggs came from @wallabyofchaos
I also had 7 of 9 shipped black copper Marans hatch (from a different seller)
1f604.png
So the hovabator still air did great!!! My young broody Marans is setting like a champ so far- she's on day 17 on the 6 eggs under her :) We have the NPIP tester coming out this evening to test our birds so hopefully that goes well today!
Wow, glad you're on the mend and congrats on the hatch! I want to get NPIP this year so please let me know any details.
I'm sad to say when I arrived home today, the second baby did not survive. :( the veins were finally retracting but it didn't absorb the yolk and it pipped 48+ hours prior to death. So out of my first incubation ever, I have one healthy perfect chick, 1 death and 2 that I haven't given up on even though they haven't pipped but since it's only day 20, they got time to spare. I explained to my husband my fear of incubating again (especially since someone at work scolded me for playing God) but he reminded me that I learned such a large amount from this hatch and I have found such an amazing and talented group of people that can guide me that I might try again with my newfound knowledge :)
If it didn't absorb the yolk then something else was going on. I'm glad you got at least one baby. And your husband is right!! You have to try again!
So, I just went in to candle and mark air cells and up the humidity for lockdown and I have 2 internal pips and 2 that are pushing up into the cell, but doesn't look like they're all the way in yet. A few more that are drawn down and half that aren't yet. There's a couple, especially one, that I am not having a good feeling about. So it looks like this one will be early as well. I just hope it's a good turn out, cause these eggs are my hardest ones.
See they are cooperating!! Bet you wake up to pips!! :)

I want to shut my incubator down so I can clean it for the call eggs but the last egg that I thought was dead is still alive! I know it's not going to hatch but I can't bring myself to turn it off until I know it's already past. It's day 24, I can't believe this egg is still hanging on.

I think the auto turner is what made the cells get worse. Are these the ones showing development?
That is sooo cool!! Awesome pic!!
I'm so excited! I hope i get at least one more baby. With that being my expectation, I hope I'm surprised. But seriously I would be happy with just one more of yours so my little one could have a friend. Lady with the local is flaking, so we'll see!
Hi Pyxis! (My auto correct knows your screen name, so funny!)
Wow, glad you're on the mend and congrats on the hatch! I want to get NPIP this year so please let me know any details.
If it didn't absorb the yolk then something else was going on. I'm glad you got at least one baby. And your husband is right!! You have to try again!
See they are cooperating!! Bet you wake up to pips!! :)

No; those two are the only ones that are not. Actually, one of them has a blood ring.... Good to know, thanks!

All the others are re-attached and looking good (well, those that are not too dark) :p
-Banti

Back
Top Bottom