Hands on hatching and help

Really? Ok. I have the other Turner too I'll go turn the incubator on and then transfer the eggs once it's reached its temperature.

Yes, that's my honest opinion. Trust me, I love those new turners with the eggs on their sides. I'm actually planning on getting one for my hova bator but for my (local) eggs only. I think it does help to keep them more upright IF the air cells are damaged.

I can't speak for everyone but having them on their side hasn't effected mine much. I have them laying down or vertical and was getting similar hatch rates from both. I haven't hatched any from local yet so all I have is shipped eggs for comparison lol. I leave mine set upright for 24 hours then after setting them in the incubator I turn them every 3 hours starting at 5 am. I try to get up one time in the night as well. I have had good hatch rates with regular chicks. Not so get with bantams though. I haven't found what to do with those yet. :(

I would love to do a experiment with this. Shipped eggs that all have moderate air cell damage, put half laying down and the other half pointy end down in cartons and compare the hatch rates. Next time I get some shipped eggs that I can play with I'd like to try this!!! (I love experiments with hatching).

So thank you so much for the advice to try the corid @RubyNala97. I woke up to my Cochins flying around the brooder chest bumping other chicks lol. It's a miraculous recovery. You most definitely saved my chicks lives!! :)

You are so very welcome. I'm really glad that it helped and it worked!

Right after saying my hatches have been ok I get a malposition. God's laughing at me right now.... :) it's externally pipped the wrong end. I made a little hole but it started to bleed so I staunched it and put it back in the incubator. This is already the 2nd assist. The first one pipped into a vein. I left it alone and after a few hours it had almost completely zipped then stalled. I left it for another hour and it still hadn't finished zipping. Finally I helped it out. It's drying off in a seperate incubator. It's very active. Hope this other one makes it... any good tips for a wrong end pip? This is my first.... :(

I always get at least one malposition when I do shipped eggs. Just remember that when they pip the pointy end (or any spot that's not into the air cell) that its technically like the internal pip. So those ones usually take twice as long. :fl and good job with the one you helped!!

Yes, that's my honest opinion. Trust me, I love those new turners with the eggs on their sides. I'm actually planning on getting one for my hova bator but for my (local) eggs only. I think it does help to keep them more upright IF the air cells are damaged.
I would love to do a experiment with this. Shipped eggs that all have moderate air cell damage, put half laying down and the other half pointy end down in cartons and compare the hatch rates. Next time I get some shipped eggs that I can play with I'd like to try this!!! (I love experiments with hatching).
I always get at least one malposition when I do shipped eggs. Just remember that when they pip the pointy end (or any spot that's not into the air cell) that its technically like the internal pip. So those ones usually take twice as long.
fl.gif
and good job with the one you helped!!
Are you on vacation now???

I just need to say that I'm officially on vacation!!! :weee
It took so much work to get ready (especially setting up all the animals) that I actually was starting to think it was not worth it. Then packing all the kids and loading everyone in the car & driving 5 hours. :barnie
But I'm happy to admit it feels like it was worth it now. We're in a gorgeous, big house, right on the beach in Cape Cod for the whole entire week! I grocery shopped, stocked up on easy foods to make and am not planning on working or cleaning until the last day. I just want to actually sit with all my boys and not have to get up every 5 minutes to do something. I miss Mavis (my house duck) but she'll survive. You can bring a pet, so I asked if she could come and they were stumped. "We've never had anyone ask to bring a farm animal". Ultimately they looked into it and said no. It would have been fun to see her on the beach...but probably more work, which I'm avoiding like the plague. I'll post pics tomorrow!

I just need to say that I'm officially on vacation!!!
wee.gif

It took so much work to get ready (especially setting up all the animals) that I actually was starting to think it was not worth it. Then packing all the kids and loading everyone in the car & driving 5 hours.
barnie.gif

But I'm happy to admit it feels like it was worth it now. We're in a gorgeous, big house, right on the beach in Cape Cod for the whole entire week! I grocery shopped, stocked up on easy foods to make and am not planning on working or cleaning until the last day. I just want to actually sit with all my boys and not have to get up every 5 minutes to do something. I miss Mavis (my house duck) but she'll survive. You can bring a pet, so I asked if she could come and they were stumped. "We've never had anyone ask to bring a farm animal". Ultimately they looked into it and said no. It would have been fun to see her on the beach...but probably more work, which I'm avoiding like the plague. I'll post pics tomorrow!
Cape Cod... how nice! Look forward to seeing pictures.
pop.gif

-Kathy

It took so much work to get ready (especially setting up all the animals) that I actually was starting to think it was not worth it. Then packing all the kids and loading everyone in the car & driving 5 hours. :barnie

Oh I envy you so much! Enjoy yourself and your boys!!
Sorry you couldn't take Mavis. Wonder if she would have gotten in the water? Lol

By the way, when you lay eggs down, do you prop them at all to have the air cell end just a tad elevated? I tried watching the broodies and noticed alot of times, the eggs were positioned under them with the pointy end in toward the center of the nest, having the air cell slightly elevated in the bedding. I wonder if that would help have less malpositions on shipped eggs especially :confused:

Last edited:
I always get at least one malposition when I do shipped eggs. Just remember that when they pip the pointy end (or any spot that's not into the air cell) that its technically like the internal pip. So those ones usually take twice as long. :fl and good job with the one you helped!!

I would love to see how your experiment comes out as well. I think it would be really interesting. All my eggs so far always have saddle shaped air cells or other issues. I'd love to learn more finesse for better hatch rates. :) both of the assist have finally hatched now with some assistance. I waited until all the veins had receded and helped them out a bit. The first one is already fluffed out in the brooder box along with one that pipped and zipped before I even knew what was up lol. The last one is fluffing up in the incubator but it has an unhealthy navel and weak neck. Hopefully after drying and fluffing up it will be better. 2 eggs to go. :)

Oh we wanted to vacation so bad. Unfortunately I have to much work that I didn't plan for. Sprung break nothings stopping us lol. Have fun!! After all the work you do you deserve it!! :)

POULTRY NUTRI-DRENCH
2122.png

Bovidr
The Nutritional Advantage!
Rapid, Rich Nutrition Supplement
For All Classes Of Poultry
NUTRI-DRENCH
2122.png
is a premium, nutrient rich supplement formulated to rapidly deliver energy and essential nutrients. The patented process increases speed of assimilation and bio-availability. The finest nutrition support all poultry.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Lysine (Min)

0.2%
Methionine (Min)

0.05%
Calcium (Min)

0.4%
Calcium (Max)

0.7%
Vitamin A (Min)

22,400 IU/fl oz
Vitamin D-3 (Min)

5,610 ICU/fl oz
Vitamin E (Min)

90 IU/fl oz
INGREDIENTS: propylene glycol, molasses products, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, DL-methionine, l-lysine, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, thiamine, niacin, zinc sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, magnesium sulfate, manganese sulfate, iron sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, cobalt sulfate, sugar.
DIRECTIONS
SHAKE WELL Store at room temperature.
DIRECT DRINKING WATER
Prepare fresh solution daily.

Age of Bird

Product Per Gal of Water

1-4 days

4 fl oz

5-14 days

2 fl oz

2-4 weeks

1 fl oz

4-6 weeks

0.5 fl oz

6 weeks +

0.25 fl oz
AUTOMATIC PROPORTIONER MIXING
Deliver at 4 oz/gal. Prepare fresh stock solutions daily.

Age of Bird

Stock Solution

Consumption Rate
1-4 days

1 gal/gal

1:32
5-14 days

2 qt/gal

1:64
2-4 weeks

1 qt/gal

1:128
4-6 weeks

1 pt/gal

1:256
6 weeks

1/2 pt/gal

1:512
Shipping: Give on arrival.
For Rapid Response: Feed directly in mouth.
1 mL (cc) per 3 lbs body weight.
1 fl oz = 30 mL (cc)

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom