Hands on hatching and help

Pics
Here's where I'm at.
Two internal pips showed some blood staining on inside of shell. Opened eggs. Hole smaller than dime sized. Stopped blood. Minor amount, small vessel. However, noticed that membrane was white on both. Moistened with water and bacitracin. I keep the bacitracin in bator to make it easier to use. I did notice that where I'm seeing shadow movement is where the membrane was starting to dry, shrink wrap and pull away from shell. So, thinking that's what's going on with the others I made a pin hole in the other 2 eggs and then made the holes the size of a pencil. Membranes whiteish turning light tan. No internal pip on those, just tight membranes. Moistened those and then covered the holes with a small piece of Saran Wrap attached to the shell with bacitracin. Jacked humidity to 65. Both vent holes open. Temp and humidity holding stable. Peeps from the two periodically. And now I wait.
fl.gif

-Kathy

So of the two that hadn't internally pipped, one of the eggs is filling with blood stain.... At the wrong end. I don't think I'm going to do anything with this one.
The two open and pipped ones are still hanging on.

Eggtopsied the two that didn't make it. One never would have pipped, completely malpositioned and had torn his whole yolk sac. The other one pipped through a large vein. There was approximately 2+ tablespoons of yolk in both eggs.
The two eggs that are open are doing well. The babies aren't struggling too much and yawn every once in awhile. Not getting my hopes up, but fingers are crossed. Just keep thinking of the 2+tbsps of yolk they still have to absorb...

Last edited:
I love this post by ozexpat!
I highly respect you and value your tips and input, however, I can't agree with the beginning of the post. I think that experience speaks much more highly than cited material done in a pristine lab under controlled situations. I also believe that when you help someone you should be open minded to other ways and methods of doing things, and not just stuck on your own methods and expect the world to bow down to you or start "screaming" at someone, threatening you won't help because their methods differ than yours. I would rather go by someone's advice that starts with, "What has worked for me" or "What I have done that works" rather than, "in this study they did...."

I do agree that you should be careful just taking any advice. I've seen people w/zero and I mean zero experience give awful advice and when I would kindly disagree (which I always try to be poliet when I disagree, even if there's a "queen" or two that will say different,) have that person say, well, I really don't know, or I haven't really done it.... then all I can think is, why are you typing?

I also feel that people are so used to kneeling down and accepting what some say as absolute truth or the only way, when in fact there are many different things can work. Yes, there are absolutes, but many things that are passed around in the "hatching world" are passed as absolutes that just isn't true.

Eggtopsied the two that didn't make it. One never would have pipped, completely malpositioned and had torn his whole yolk sac. The other one pipped through a large vein. There was approximately 2+ tablespoons of yolk in both eggs.
The two eggs that are open are doing well. The babies aren't struggling too much and yawn every once in awhile. Not getting my hopes up, but fingers are crossed. Just keep thinking of the 2+tbsps of yolk they still have to absorb...
What is going on with them?

What is going on with them?

You mean the live ones? If so, still alive!!! I just need them to sit tight for a few more days... True hatch date is supposed to be the 20th. Work on absorbing yolk and blood vessels. They don't struggle a lot, only when light is shined in the bator. I've got the viewing windows covered for darkness.
As for the dead ones, I have to go with bad incubation. I'll be thoroughly testing this bator before I use it again. @WVduckchick and I were discussing what new bator I should buy in June. WV, what one are you using again?

Last edited:
You mean the live ones? If so, still alive!!! I just need them to sit tight for a few more days... True hatch date is supposed to be the 20th. Work on absorbing yolk and blood vessels. They don't struggle a lot, only when light is shined in the bator. I've got the viewing windows covered for darkness.
As for the dead ones, I have to go with bad incubation. I'll be thoroughly testing this bator before I use it again. @WVduckchick and I were discussing what new bator I should buy in June. WV, what one are you using again?
I mean the ones rupturing their yolk sac and them all wanting to hatch early. You don't want mine...lol LG9200 I want the Hovabator- either the 1588 or the 1583.

The dead ones, I did find about a half tablespoon of "sticky goo". That gunk that turns to cement. That combined with early attempts at hatching, dry membranes. I'm going with fluctuations in temp and same with humidity. The ducklings themselves were perfectly formed, no odors, no discoloration of fluids or yolk. In the malpositioned one, it was very tightly wrapped.

Back
Top Bottom