Hands on hatching and help

No off odor. More goo than any eggs I've opened before. And instead of clumps of the goo, the lings were surrounded by it. Some of that I'll attribute to having such high humidity the last few days.
Since the bator only has the two open eggs now, with live babies. Where should my humidity be at? Is there things I should be doing at this stage.

How's your ventilation?? I'm wondering if maybe that isn't more the problem than your temps and humidity.

Had 2 wrong-end pippers this past weekend. One made it out on its own, and I majorly assisted the second. The first has a messed up leg though, and I believe I will be culling it when I get home this evening. (IF my dear hubby doesn't do it for me today... he said he would, if he felt up to it) The one I fully assisted is perfect! It pipped about halfway down the shell and never progressed. I increased the hole Monday morning (probably around 36 hours from pip!), I figured it would die while I was at work, but it didn't. Monday evening, I chipped shell away until it scooted out on its own. Its doing great so far today!

hugs.gif
You'll get it figured out.
That's great that one is thriving. Leg problems really suck. I love my original roo. When we first put him out to the coop last spring he was really doing good and even with his leg problem he thrived and seemed to get stronger. I wasn't too worried about him breeding because with his leg and balance problems, he couldn't really complete the deed. But when the younger roos got bigger they started going after him. He wouldn't even come out of the coop anymore. Took me a while, (I hate to admit it) to figure out why. I got rid of one roo and then Elvis started challenging him and going after him so I brought him in for the winter and I just think he's fallen into a "depression" of sorts. His feathers are dull, he never even tries to crow anymore. I'm getting ready to fix him his own little coop in the end of the run now that it's warmer and section it off for him, but I don't know if it'll make a difference now.

Both vent plugs open. It's forced air and I have the ceiling fan on above the bator.
Membranes have been moistened with water/bacitracin. I'll up the humidity more now.

So glad I found this thread. I want to be able to assist if they need me- but I am scared it would have disastrous consequences and then of course my husband may be like- well, you knew you were not supposed to open the bator, etc, etc... but I don't want a chick to die if I could possibly help it in some way. Glad I found this so I can come back to ask for help if I need it! LOL- my babies are due Friday- today is day 19. Day 18 morning everyone was alive and moving (via candling before I put on lock down). I raised my humidity and today it is about 70% ---I don't have any eggs rocking or anything- so I am nervous. I am using the Janoel12 incubator and have 6 eggs in it.

So glad I found this thread. I want to be able to assist if they need me- but I am scared it would have disastrous consequences and then of course my husband may be like- well, you knew you were not supposed to open the bator, etc, etc... but I don't want a chick to die if I could possibly help it in some way. Glad I found this so I can come back to ask for help if I need it! LOL- my babies are due Friday- today is day 19. Day 18 morning everyone was alive and moving (via candling before I put on lock down). I raised my humidity and today it is about 70% ---I don't have any eggs rocking or anything- so I am nervous. I am using the Janoel12 incubator and have 6 eggs in it.
frow.gif
Welcome to the thread! I hardly ever see rocking before the pip. Often you might see rocking about day 17 when they are positioning themself (head under wing, beak up) for hatch and then they'll go quiet till hatch. We're here if you need us. I'm sure someone will be available to help!

So glad I found this thread.  I want to be able to assist if they need me- but I am scared it would have disastrous consequences and then of course my husband may be like- well, you knew you were not supposed to open the bator, etc, etc... but I don't want a chick to die if I could possibly help it in some way.  Glad I found this so I can come back to ask for help if I need it! LOL- my babies are due Friday- today is day 19.  Day 18 morning everyone was alive and moving (via candling before I put on lock down).  I raised my humidity and today it is about 70% ---I don't have any eggs rocking or anything- so I am nervous.  I am using the Janoel12 incubator and have 6 eggs in it. 

Welcome and good luck!! Hopefully all you'll have to do is wait and share some pics!!

Thanks so much! I feel like a bundle of nerves! hahaha.... this is my 3rd- yes 3rd attempt at hatching since last year---- I had previously tried with an older, borrowed Hovabator 1602N- and it failed everytime- they never made it very far--- so I bought this one last month and so far it has done wonderful- I set 9 eggs, 2 had blood rings and 1 i accidentally dropped on like day 2... since then everyone has grown and been fine. I have a small egg that I noticed on day 9 was cracked somehow- no clue how it happened- but as soon as I noticed, I remember I had seen on here to use candle wax and I did that to seal it up and "cracker" has been fine since then! I am super excited and just wish it would hurry and happen already haha. Amy you are so informative on every post I have seen you comment on- thank you!

That's great that one is thriving. Leg problems really suck. I love my original roo. When we first put him out to the coop last spring he was really doing good and even with his leg problem he thrived and seemed to get stronger. I wasn't too worried about him breeding because with his leg and balance problems, he couldn't really complete the deed. But when the younger roos got bigger they started going after him. He wouldn't even come out of the coop anymore. Took me a while, (I hate to admit it) to figure out why. I got rid of one roo and then Elvis started challenging him and going after him so I brought him in for the winter and I just think he's fallen into a "depression" of sorts. His feathers are dull, he never even tries to crow anymore. I'm getting ready to fix him his own little coop in the end of the run now that it's warmer and section it off for him, but I don't know if it'll make a difference now.

I'm glad you have time to do that. I sadly just can't devote the time and effort, and I hate to see the little guy in pain. And guess what? I'm pretty sure its frizzled. One little wing already has some feathers curling.
hit.gif

Both vent plugs open. It's forced air and I have the ceiling fan on above the bator.
Membranes have been moistened with water/bacitracin. I'll up the humidity more now.

Good deal.
fl.gif

Howdy! You'll get lots of opinions on assisting, but I always say "my egg, my decision"... or "your eggs, your decision".
Its a personal decision, in my opinion. I do feel patience often pays off, and going in too quickly can be more disastrous, but your gut is your best gauge.

I'm glad I found this thread. I have 8 duck eggs that were on day 28 today. At day 25 when I put them in lockdown they were all alive. I still see movement in the ones that I've been able to candle through the incubator but none have piped at all. I have no clue when to help or what to watch for.

Back
Top Bottom