Hands on hatching and help

I'm glad I found this thread. I have 8 duck eggs that were on day 28 today. At day 25 when I put them in lockdown they were all alive. I still see movement in the ones that I've been able to candle through the incubator but none have piped at all. I have no clue when to help or what to watch for.

That decision depends a lot on the conditions of your incubation.

So basic questions: What kind of incubator, how have your temps and humidity been throughout the process, what kind of ducks? How big were the air cells at day 25?

Yes!!!!! This is awesome! I have an LG still air. I followed the directions to the "T" and watched all of my eggs quit. I've woken up in the morning to find chicks dead in the eggs because they couldn't get out. I couldn't do it to one more baby. I open my bator all the time now. I don't add water until hatch. I added a computer fan. I have assisted many chicks and it is all about the timing and keeping everything as clean as possible. I know people who won't candle until it's day 7 because they've read it's BAD!!! I've learned over time it's all about trial and error. If you're afraid of the bator that's when things go wrong. Do what you feel is best for YOUR chicks!!!! :D

I am not sure the exact brand of the incubator, got it off Amazon. The temp has been 99-100, humidity was at 50-60, for the first 25 days. The automatic Turner turned every 2 hours. The air cells had been getting bigger at a nice pace so I didn't measure except one week when I couldn't be sure. They did get bigger after I had compared a few days later.

I did pull a couple out, at the recommendation of a friend and experienced hatcher a bit ago, to candle and saw that 3 had piped internally. 1 of which has what looks like a line where it may be trying to pip through. One small external pip on another.

Edited to add that the ducks are Pekin/Appleyard cross. Everything I read says 28 days is typical.

Last edited:

This is the type I have

Thanks so much! I feel like a bundle of nerves! hahaha.... this is my 3rd- yes 3rd attempt at hatching since last year---- I had previously tried with an older, borrowed Hovabator 1602N- and it failed everytime- they never made it very far--- so I bought this one last month and so far it has done wonderful- I set 9 eggs, 2 had blood rings and 1 i accidentally dropped on like day 2... since then everyone has grown and been fine. I have a small egg that I noticed on day 9 was cracked somehow- no clue how it happened- but as soon as I noticed, I remember I had seen on here to use candle wax and I did that to seal it up and "cracker" has been fine since then! I am super excited and just wish it would hurry and happen already haha. Amy you are so informative on every post I have seen you comment on- thank you!
Awe. Thanks. Wait until you get that first pip and all you can do is wait...for hours...and hours....lol

I'm glad I found this thread. I have 8 duck eggs that were on day 28 today. At day 25 when I put them in lockdown they were all alive. I still see movement in the ones that I've been able to candle through the incubator but none have piped at all. I have no clue when to help or what to watch for.
Have you ever checked the thermometer to make sure it was accurate or have an individual one inside?

Yes!!!!! This is awesome! I have an LG still air. I followed the directions to the "T" and watched all of my eggs quit. I've woken up in the morning to find chicks dead in the eggs because they couldn't get out. I couldn't do it to one more baby. I open my bator all the time now. I don't add water until hatch. I added a computer fan. I have assisted many chicks and it is all about the timing and keeping everything as clean as possible. I know people who won't candle until it's day 7 because they've read it's BAD!!! I've learned over time it's all about trial and error. If you're afraid of the bator that's when things go wrong. Do what you feel is best for YOUR chicks!!!!
big_smile.png
Biggest mistake, following those manuals to a T. They recommend too high of humidity. I hate the manuals! I totally agree.

How long do you give your eggs past 21 days if they have not pipped- to candle/do something?
If mine weren't pipped by day 22, (my hatches usually start early cause my bator is hard to regulate so I get it settled slightly warmer rather than lower,) I would candle day 22 to see if there was any signs of life, any internal pips. Any signsof life and they stay in. I can't pull the plug on anything I still know is alive. No signs of life and I'd pull one to eggtopsy by going in the air cell first to confirm.

I am not sure the exact brand of the incubator, got it off Amazon. The temp has been 99-100, humidity was at 50-60, for the first 25 days. The automatic Turner turned every 2 hours. The air cells had been getting bigger at a nice pace so I didn't measure except one week when I couldn't be sure. They did get bigger after I had compared a few days later.

I did pull a couple out, at the recommendation of a friend and experienced hatcher a bit ago, to candle and saw that 3 had piped internally. 1 of which has what looks like a line where it may be trying to pip through. One small external pip on another.

Edited to add that the ducks are Pekin/Appleyard cross. Everything I read says 28 days is typical.

This is the type I have
Janoel knockoff? Chinese bator. My nephew bought one of those. The temp and humidity reading was off on both.

@WVduckchick I thought I quoted you too... anyway, I've never regreted the decision to keep Peep, as a matter of fact the leg problem wasn't noticeable until he started filling out and putting on weight. I will say, it's not so easy now and I have contemplated what would be better. He's not in any noticeable pain, never has been, but if getting him in his own pen doesn't lift his spirits and he doesn't perk up, we are going to have to consider the alternative, which will be very hard. He is my first ever chicken.

I do have, and have had back up thermometers and hydrometers in with them. So far the temp has been accurate but not the humidity. Thank you for your replies!

Alright, made it through another day. One more day closer to the 20th. Lots of peeping now. Some struggling, enough that they're tearing their membranes a bit. But the membranes near the shell holes don't have blood in them. Lots of head pushing and big yawns. Still don't want to get my hopes up, but....

Back
Top Bottom