Hands on hatching and help

Is it OK to have condensation on the incubator walls during lockdown? I have pips already and my incubator says it's at 72-75% humidity while my other one says 55%. I don't really trust either. I started out with little to no water during incubation (20-30%).

Is it OK to have condensation on the incubator walls during lockdown? I have pips already and my incubator says it's at 72-75% humidity while my other one says 55%. I don't really trust either. I started out with little to no water during incubation (20-30%).
You don't really want condensation in the bator. If there's a lot I'd wipe it down.

You don't really want condensation in the bator. If there's a lot I'd wipe it down.

Thanks!

I don't have an incubator but of my two hatches I had to intervee both times, mum hopped off the eggs on both occasions. Talk about shaking hands trying to ply back the shell!! Then to make matters worse we had a blackout, the eggs ended up in between my boobs and...survived!! What an experience! And a great read above, thank you

I don't have an incubator but of my two hatches I had to intervee both times, mum hopped off the eggs on both occasions. Talk about shaking hands trying to ply back the shell!! Then to make matters worse we had a blackout, the eggs ended up in between my boobs and...survived!! What an experience! And a great read above, thank you
welcome-byc.gif

I'm out! I feel like I should get some kind of medal or something. News not real good - 8 eggs left out of the original 28. Out of those eggs only 2 look okay to me. (our bathroom is always dark since there's no windows in there) Candled them while I let the incubator start coming back up after taking out the turner and getting the thermometers and hygrometer reset in there, then put them into their respective cheery baskets as I finished and logged each one. 1 Green Magnolia and 1 Olive Egger seems to be all I have left. And two with really wonky air cells...really saddle bag cells. I'm second guessing myself now and thinking I should have cut down an egg carton and used the cups to put those in. I still might.

If this is a learning experience, I think I flunked. I won't beat myself up though, because I am sure that I did everything right after they arrived....let them set, made sure the incubator was holding, turning, marking, and keeping an eye on development. But for sure at least two more that were moving a couple of days ago are now deathly still, and the others are so dark in there it's hard to tell anything. But they are all in their little welcome baby cradles and all I can do now is wait, watch, and take care of the new ones in the Brinsea.

How do you people DO this time after time??
th.gif

Remember, you are starting with the hardest possible scenario - shipped eggs over long distances, change in altitude, first time, etc. If you survive this, you can survive anything!

You've done a great job so far, and remember that no amount of perfect incubation techniques can resurrect scrambled eggs.

Next time try some local eggs, or maybe some shipped from WY or an adjoining state, and you will see much better results.
hugs.gif

Or you can be like me and keep ordering eggs from far away and only getting 1 chick per dozen set.
he.gif
(Although my homegrown eggs hatch great!)

Since I'm doing things differently this hatch, when to stop turning....? Duck eggs, when does everyone here stop turning?

Going to end up pulling two or leave them, either way, they'll be non hatchers...

And what do you folks like over the wire on the bottom of the bator for hatching? I've always just left them on the wire to dry... And I leave the eggs in their cardboard rings....
Like I said, doing it differently, so I'll take ideas!!!!

So, my silkie eggs are still looking good. All 14 are still progressing, air cells look ok. I did loose the one Spitz egg, it was the oldest from the set at 10 days when it went in. Darndest thing and gave me more mental notes to file. I knew it was on it's way out as the veins were next to nothing and it got that yellow death glow, but the chick itself was still active for a long time after. I even took video of it moving around. But alas, this morning it was done. We are going to investigate it tonight. I also have one green egg that I am 98% sure quit, but I am waiting to do anything with that one cause it's hard to see. Tonight starts day 10, so we will have made it to the half way point. The rest of the Spitz look pretty good. If the greens don't do well I plan to do a separate hatch at the end of May to try with them. I just want to see these little silkies!!! They HAVE to make it!!

Still alot of great news in there!

I'm out!  I feel like I should get some kind of medal or something.  News not real good - 8 eggs left out of the original 28.  Out of those eggs only 2 look okay to me. (our bathroom is always dark since there's no windows in there)  Candled them while I let the incubator start coming back up after taking out the turner and getting the thermometers and hygrometer reset in there, then put them into their respective cheery baskets as I finished and logged each one.  1 Green Magnolia and 1 Olive Egger seems to be all I have left.  And two with really wonky air cells...really saddle bag cells. I'm second guessing myself now and thinking I should have cut down an egg carton and used the cups to put those in.  I still might.

If this is a learning experience, I think I flunked.  I won't beat myself up though, because I am sure that I did everything right after they arrived....let them set, made sure the incubator was holding, turning, marking, and keeping an eye on development.  But for sure at least two more that were moving a couple of days ago are now deathly still, and the others are so dark in there it's hard to tell anything.  But they are all in their little welcome baby cradles and all I can do now is wait, watch, and take care of the new ones in the Brinsea.

How do you people DO this time after time??  :th  

Friday said alot of what I was thinking.

I love doing this, my husband hates these hatch weekends, I pace and spend alot of time in that room, staring. :D but seeing one kick out of its shell is still such a rewarding experience. I'm already contemplating my next hatch!

Good luck Blooie. We're here for ya! (picked a fine time to stop smoking, eh?) :lol:

Agree with Amy, condensation is too high for me.

Remember, you are starting with the hardest possible scenario - shipped eggs over long distances, change in altitude, first time, etc.  If you survive this, you can survive anything!

You've done a great job so far, and remember that no amount of perfect incubation techniques can resurrect scrambled eggs.  

Next time try some local eggs, or maybe some shipped from WY or an adjoining state, and you will see much better results.   :hugs

Or you can be like me and keep ordering eggs from far away and only getting 1 chick per dozen set.  :he   (Although my homegrown eggs hatch great!)

Excellent points!

Since I'm doing things differently this hatch, when to stop turning....? Duck eggs, when does everyone here stop turning?

Going to end up pulling two or leave them, either way, they'll be non hatchers...

I stop turning midday 25.

And what do you folks like over the wire on the bottom of the bator for hatching? I've always just left them on the wire to dry... And I leave the eggs in their cardboard rings....
Like I said, doing it differently, so I'll take ideas!!!!

Rubber shelf liner is what I use. Too many horror stories about the wire catching little toes, plus it would be rough on an open navel, if one should hatch that way.

Back
Top Bottom