Hands on hatching and help

The ones outside I don't know. My females will not allow me to go into there dog house to look at them. There to broody
1f602.png

I still trying to clean bators out from last hatch. Because I don't know the days they where layed. The incubator needs to be cleaned regardless of what I do at these point

I need to find some time when partner home to finish candling eggs incubator all try to see if he can fix the camera on the phone. Everything's full on storage on film and download to computer. All ask him again. Then you guys can help me weed them out.

I need to find some time when partner home to finish candling eggs incubator all try to see if he can fix the camera on the phone. Everything's full on storage on film and download to computer. All ask him again. Then you guys can help me weed them out.
How many eggs are you talking?

I am artificially incubating Sevastopol's. On day 30 I drilled a small hole in the air sac end because of previous egg deaths. Day 31 I hear chirping but no pipping or unzipping. Today is day 32 - should I help?

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I searched for help last night on assisting hatching, but everything I read said "WAIT", "DON'T TOUCH", "SHRINK WRAP", etc.... I was so discouraged and my instinct was telling me my chicks were in trouble.

I could see through my Hovabator windows that two of the chicks had zipped but the membrane was still holding the chicks in the shell. After hours of anxiously watching for them to break free, I finally snatched the one out that had the most zipping and was saddened to see the chick had died. Fearing the worst, I pulled out the other chick. This one had almost pushed off the top of the shell, but was "cemented" in place by what I assume was dried yolk. It too was dead. So much for 'HANDS OFF" for me.

I searched how to assist a chick and tackled one little egg that had pipped but would not progress to zipping, breaking a zip line around the shell and putting it back in the incubator and raising the humidity (I could see these shells are THICK!). Another chick was also stuck with the membrane and I carefully helped that one out. But it seems the membrane had dried where the pips were and each chick is carrying a large portion of egg shell on their backs and necks (ouch for the wee Naked Neck!). I was hesitant to try to pull the dried shell off last night in case I tore their feather and skin, hoping it would fall off on it's own. No such luck, I'm afraid, dried on hard now.

So I'm torn, do I take these chicks out yet again and try to moisten the area with a warm cloth and see if the shell will release? I'm afraid of chilling the chick or pulling off feathers/skin in the process. Maybe I should just leave the shell on with the chick until they are ready to come out tomorrow night?

I still have four eggs that are on day 21 which have not pipped externally, and one egg pipped externally yesterday (still in there the little peeper!). Would it be safe to pull the non-externally pipped eggs out to candle tonight? I'd like to know if they have broken through to the air sack and if so, decide whether to intervene with making the outside pip.

Love this thread, so many great people willing to dive in and help our feathered babies!

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Oh my goodness! I am so in love!! This little guy is imprinting already. He is so happy when he's out and with us. Otherwise he paces the brooder. I put him on the bed and he tries to jump up on me and nibbles at me and preens himself. He's going to be spoile rotten!!

Thank you for the advice. I'm tempted to let him sleep with me but then I know I'll never get him out of the bed!! Good luck on the eggs. I hope the all level out.
?

So happy for you!! :love

Last edited:
I am artificially incubating Sevastopol's. On day 30 I drilled a small hole in the air sac end because of previous egg deaths. Day 31 I hear chirping but no pipping or unzipping. Today is day 32 - should I help?

Low temps can cause delays. How have your temps been?

I've never incubated geese, so can't give specific advise, but wish you the best of luck!

I'm so happy to have found this thread.  I searched for help last night on assisting hatching, but everything I read said "WAIT", "DON'T TOUCH", "SHRINK WRAP", etc....  I was so discouraged and my instinct was telling me my chicks were in trouble. 

I could see through my Hovabator windows that two of the chicks had zipped but the membrane was still holding the chicks in the shell.  After hours of anxiously watching for them to break free, I finally snatched the one out that had the most zipping and was saddened to see the chick had died.  Fearing the worst, I pulled out the other chick.  This one had almost pushed off the top of the shell, but was "cemented" in place by what I assume was dried yolk.  It too was dead.  So much for 'HANDS OFF" for me.

I searched how to assist a chick and tackled one little egg that had pipped but would not progress to zipping, breaking a zip line around the shell and putting it back in the incubator and raising the humidity (I could see these shells are THICK!).  Another chick was also stuck with the membrane and I carefully helped that one out.  But it seems the membrane had dried where the pips were and each chick is carrying a large portion of egg shell on their backs and necks (ouch  for the wee Naked Neck!).  I was hesitant to try to pull the dried shell off last night in case I tore their feather and skin, hoping it would fall off on it's own.  No such luck, I'm afraid, dried on hard now.

So I'm torn, do I take these chicks out yet again and try to moisten the area with a warm cloth and see if the shell will release?  I'm afraid of chilling the chick or pulling off feathers/skin in the process.  Maybe I should just leave the shell on with the chick until they are ready to come out tomorrow night? 

I still have four eggs that are on day 21 which have not pipped externally, and one egg pipped externally yesterday (still in there the little peeper!).  Would it be safe to pull the non-externally pipped eggs out to candle tonight?  I'd like to know if they have broken through to the air sack and if so, decide whether to intervene with making the outside pip.

Love this thread, so many great people willing to dive in and help our feathered babies!

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Most breeds will generally start to zip within 24 hours of external pip, and most will take less than 1 hour to complete the zip.

I watch the membrane. If it stays papery white, or even moist grayish, I leave them. But if they start turning brown, then its too dry, and they are going to stick.

If your temps have been a bit low, then they may just not be ready yet. If you decide to pull the others, just try to keep that humidity up.

ETA - the ones with the shell pieces. If they were sticky and it doesn't look like it will release on its own, I would pull them and get it off. If they are just normal wet from hatching, then it should come off on its own, once the chick starts moving around and preening itself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom