Hands on hatching and help

Are you adding hot water? Warm water vs cool makes a diff n the humidity jump... Glad your little is still kickin.

:frow hello all, just wanted to ad that trouble shoot but Ima get n bed now.

Yes, I am adding warm water. Thanks..... As of this mornin', she is still kickin........ :fl
-Banti

I have a few pics!
big_smile.png

Some of the Seramas

And the first one seen under my broody (under her tail)
There is another one out, I saw its legs under her and 2 empty shells, but haven't seen the other chick yet.

I have a story that is OT but I know you will all feel the way I do ! lol
We were at a poultry swap/sale Sunday morning; it was COLD and rainy and there had been much discussion on the sale's FB page about how to keep baby chicks warm without power etc, so people knew it was going to be a challenge.
I was looking for laying hens, but the daughter and I were determined to take our time and look at everything as the last sale was very rushed for us. At the second to last vendor I come upon yet another Tupperware container of freezing, huddled day old chicks but one of these is so freshly hatched IT HASN'T DRIED OFF YET. It was smaller than all the others and trying to duck under them for warmth, but of course there was no warmth to be had. Turns out it was one of three Chocolate Orpingtons in the box, but the vendor indicated she probably wasn't going to sell the little one as she 'wasn't doing very well'.
I shot the woman my best dirty death stare, told her that chick had no business being at the sale, and told her to sell me all three. I immediately stuck the cold one inside my daughter's shirt and she stayed there until we got home. We scrounged through the truck and found an old hand warmer pack for the other two.
I'm mad at the woman who had a barely hatched chick for sale outside in the rain. I'm mad at myself for giving her my money that was earmarked for mature hens. I'm mad that every bird there was stressed to the limit. I don't think I'll attend poultry swaps any more.
Oh, and anyone north of the 49th parallel I should have Chocolate Orpington chicks for sale next spring .

I.really hope so. I have a feeling I won't be sleeping a wink tonight lol.

:lau hey saw u tol me g'nite, how sweet! I ment it tho I was snoozing :p you might getn Some steralized non-pourous rocks or glass marbles in your bator to help it stabilize, I've seen this info thrown around but idk if it's been suggested to you. I couldn't sleep thru my first hatch but now I can ;)

:frow Turk!! Post some pics of the call babies on here!! How are they doing? :hugs

:gig I need to take new pics. I'll add some asap. W the A/C on all day an night it's hard cuz if I'm holding em I'm tryn to shield em from the cold air.

:lau hey saw u tol me g'nite, how sweet! I ment it tho I was snoozing :p you might getn Some steralized non-pourous rocks or glass marbles in your bator to help it stabilize, I've seen this info thrown around but idk if it's been suggested to you. I couldn't sleep thru my first hatch but now I can ;)
:gig I need to take new pics. I'll add some asap. W the A/C on all day an night it's hard cuz if I'm holding em I'm tryn to shield em from the cold air.
So far cracking the lid is working well. At night I close it up and it's ok. I'm only a week in. I'm going to be crazy when this is all over lol...

So far cracking the lid is working well. At night I close it up and it's ok. I'm only a week in. I'm going to be crazy when this is all over lol...

:lau yes yes Insanity runs rampant among us hatchers

I couldn't imagine cracking the lid of mine like that but it's whatever works for you!! And hey the first five days are when the temps stability is paramount so your over the hump!

Got to meet my newest chick just now. gold and black down he's a batam....so happy but I had another pip through the yolk...sad about that too

:clap I'm glad you have a New baby! Looks a lil preme though you might consider putting him in a small cup in the bator so he isn't run over, and check his umbilical it might need a bit a treatment to keep from having any sort of problems.

Back
Top Bottom