Hands on hatching and help

Hey guys. I got some expensive eggs. I plan on putting them in my brinsea mini adavnce. So far the eggs I put in there in the past haven't developed well. I'm wondering if it's the turner. Should I just leave it out with these ones or should I adjust the size? Thanks. :)

Last edited:
@jenniferlamar70 It's completely relaxed under the heat lamp at the moment. Unfortunately, all my stuffed animals are in the attic at the moment, and I have a migraine starting (combination of the stress/anxiety of hatching, along with stupid weather systems moving through. My head HATES air pressure changes.) so I'm not going to try and climb up there right now.

@AmyLynn2374 Thanks! Navel is a soft (not irritated) pink with just a little tiny raw/bloody spot in the middle where the umbilical cord attaches. I'm going to assume that's as good as it can be right now? Will it be okay to trim the cord down after everything's dried? Poor chick is hauling that whole chunk of stuff with it whenever it moves around, and I don't want it or another chick stepping on it and ripping it out later.

@AmyLynn2374 , this is one of the six shipped eggs from PA, which cost me $$$, so I wasn't thinking straight when I was assisting.

-Kathy
I know that feeling....lol

The chicks hatched

Congrats!

@AmyLynn2374 , I think that was the left wing!

-Kathy
Head under left wing is #3 maleposition.

@jenniferlamar70 It's completely relaxed under the heat lamp at the moment. Unfortunately, all my stuffed animals are in the attic at the moment, and I have a migraine starting (combination of the stress/anxiety of hatching, along with stupid weather systems moving through. My head HATES air pressure changes.) so I'm not going to try and climb up there right now.

@AmyLynn2374 Thanks! Navel is a soft (not irritated) pink with just a little tiny raw/bloody spot in the middle where the umbilical cord attaches. I'm going to assume that's as good as it can be right now? Will it be okay to trim the cord down after everything's dried? Poor chick is hauling that whole chunk of stuff with it whenever it moves around, and I don't want it or another chick stepping on it and ripping it out later.
You can. There's so little attaching it that if it hasn't come off you can snip it off.

OK since there's such a good pick of what I keep seeing....is that shrink wrapped?
I do not see that as shrink wrapped. The membrane looks dry and really thick, but it's not pulling down and tightened around the chick. I don't usually see membrane that thick, or as thick as it looks from the pics in my hatches. I can share a couple pics of my own couple instances of shrink wrapped.

Well, the little rescue chick didn't make it :( I know I did all I could for it though.

In happier news, the guinea breeder kept her promise. Today I received 12 pinto guinea eggs in the mail. I'm not sure how the trait passes on but at least I'll finally have some 'pied' birds, fingers crossed. I also have three white keets coming from a hatchery next week so that I can make my own pieds next year.

Geez guys I'm kicking myself right now. I just checked one of my incubators and it overheated at 39.2 celsius. Are they gone for sure? Could there still be a chance they are alive?
Last week I checked the shell temp of a chick that hatched today, and shell temp was over 102, so I think you will be fine.

-Kathy

Finally got around to posting pictures of the malpositioned chick that I assisted. I ended up having to help all 3 that hatched due to shrink-wrapping problems. Apparently buying a cheap incubator wasn't the best option... Anyways, after my broody hen had 1 of her 2 chicks die, I ended up giving her my 3 incubated babies. Now they're a happy little family.
1f60a.png

From left to right is Nugget (mom), Biscuit, Egg, Sushi, and Cheese.

Finally got around to posting pictures of the malpositioned chick that I assisted. I ended up having to help all 3 that hatched due to shrink-wrapping problems. Apparently buying a cheap incubator wasn't the best option... Anyways, after my broody hen had 1 of her 2 chicks die, I ended up giving her my 3 incubated babies. Now they're a happy little family.
1f60a.png

From left to right is Nugget (mom), Biscuit, Egg, Sushi, and Cheese.
Cute!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom