Hands on hatching and help

Welcome to the world little Serama baby! @6:55pm (I can't figure out how to upload pictures. ...I have a phone and a computer but it won't upload for some reason)

Yay!! Congrats!! :thumbsup

Hahaha I don't doubt it. So far it seems to be drying into a chocolate color. I love how Seramas can be so many colors. 5 more Serama eggs just went into the other incubator. Here we go again. ........

lol... but now you got it down... :D ;)

I'm sure it has happened. I know I remember reading someone claim to have done it, but can't remember where/when I read it.

Is she leaving them upright or laying down? Apparently she knows that turning is normal. I hope she replies with why.

I don't know. We were messaging back and forth for a while (a couple weeks) then when I suggested that she definitely not, not turn them, no reply and haven't heard back since. And you know me, I was totally nice about it but it must have turned her off.

Lmfao

Don't do it.. I have this incubation book I purchased for like 30 bucks. I haven't read it all but I've gone over the important stuff. The author had gone over this subject. He had 2 identical incubators dame temps and humidity etc. Etc... when hatch day came he said it was awful. The eggs that were turned had almost a 100 percent hatch rate. The eggs that weren't had almost none. He then went on with scientific stuff of why it was so important which I skipped because it was to long winded lol.

Ok, so the experiment has been done! I don't want to sound harsh or anything but I was afraid if I tried it, I would hatch a bunch of malformed chicks. At least I know the outcome was none hatching

Hi everyone. Just a quick question as I'm peeking in on my "lockdown" eggs. All 4 have drawn down, and this is my first time hatching, therefore first time seeing it. This is a real learning experience for me. I just want to make sure what I am seeing is normal. The eggs have drawn down on one side and then on the opposite side, I thought they had internally pipped at first. However, I think its their back or something that has come up a little over the last air cell line I drew. I can see it rising and falling as they breathe.

Since you said they were shipped and from what you describe I'm thinking they are saddle shaped??

Probably true, lol... but I refuse to make assumptions of others, all I can attest to is my own lack of sanity... :gig

Trust me, we are all insane and that's why we get along so well!
And. ..the lady I bought the eggs locally from just messaged to checkhire the hatch was coming and offered to drive over 5 Serama eggs so we can try to hatch it some buddies..she's on her way and told me these are on the house! Yay.

Congratulations on the hatcher! You have to post pics of this guy/girl!! And that is great that you're getting more eggs. Don't hesitate to ask any questions and recalibrate your instruments before the new set! :)

I know thats what happened to me. I'm almost embarrassed by the fact that my chicken time is my relaxing time. I find them peaceful and interesting. My husband lovingly calls me "The crazy chicken lady".
After being a stay at home Mom with 3 toddlers all within 3 yrs, I found myself not knowing how to answer people when they'd ask questions like ..."what do you like to do in your spare time?" Or "do you have any hobbies?" I felt like I didn't know myself anymore because I spent all my time taking care of others.
All of a sudden I've found something that I LOVE and jumped in with both feet. My husband is happy I've found something that I enjoy and have a way to kind of relax.
When I explain it to others, they kind of look at me weird and laugh. :p

I totally understand what you are saying. I'm a single mom to 3 boys and I'm also a crazy chicken lady. I think most of us are! Glad you joined the thread!

I wouldn't. I have a page bookmarked on what issues not turning can promote. Why wouldn't she turn?

I'm pretty sure because they are shipped she thinks she'll get a better hatch rate. She didn't specific how bad the air cells were. When I asked she said "what you would expect shipping to Alaska".

I'm pretty sure because they are shipped she thinks she'll get a better hatch rate. She didn't specific how bad the air cells were. When I asked she said "what you would expect shipping to Alaska".
I'd be like, I don't live in Alaska I don't know what to expect.....lol
wink.png

So I meant to update on my lil silkie. I am sooooo excited to say, she is doing great!! You can barely tell now. Her limp is almost non existant. She's hopping up on the low roost and walking pretty normal. Not running yet, at least not that I've seen, but she's mended so well and it's only been just over a week. A lot of the reading I did about others that had the same issues we did, (almost to a Tee) stated that it took 3-5 weeks before their's healed completely, (and some never healed 100% and still had a slight limp), so I am stoked that she's made so much progress in this amount of time.
big_smile.png

I'm in the middle of a difficult hatch here. Had a cemani that was internally pipped but something didn't look quite right. I opened it up a little bit and saw that it had pipped very close to the bottom of the air cell and that there was a lot of liquid in the egg. It was inhaling liquid. There was nothing I could do until the veins in the membrane at the top of the air cell finished absorbing but I did open the air cell up all the way and tried to position it so it wasn't in the liquid so much.

The veins absorbed and I pulled the membrane back and slipped its head out. It's now in a cup to finish absorbing. I'm not optimistic though - chances are good that it already aspirated some fluid.

I'm in the middle of a difficult hatch here. Had a cemani that was internally pipped but something didn't look quite right. I opened it up a little bit and saw that it had pipped very close to the bottom of the air cell and that there was a lot of liquid in the egg. It was inhaling liquid. There was nothing I could do until the veins in the membrane at the top of the air cell finished absorbing but I did open the air cell up all the way and tried to position it so it wasn't in the liquid so much.

The veins absorbed and I pulled the membrane back and slipped its head out. It's now in a cup to finish absorbing. I'm not optimistic though - chances are good that it already aspirated some fluid.
fl.gif

-Kathy

Hahaha I don't doubt it. So far it seems to be drying into a chocolate color. I love how Seramas can be so many colors. 5 more Serama eggs just went into the other incubator. Here we go again. ........

Good luck. :)

I'd be like, I don't live in Alaska I don't know what to expect.....lol  ;)

So I meant to update on my lil silkie. I am sooooo excited to say, she is doing great!! You can barely tell now.  Her limp is almost non existant. She's hopping up on the low roost and walking pretty normal. Not running yet, at least not that I've seen, but she's mended so well and it's only been just over a week. A lot of the reading I did about others that had the same issues we did, (almost to a Tee) stated that it took 3-5 weeks before their's healed completely,  (and some never healed 100% and still had a slight limp), so I am stoked that she's made so much progress in this amount of time.  :D  

So happy she is mending well. 8t feels good to have that worry off your shoulders I'm sure. :)

Good luck I'll say a prayer. If it helps any I think that's what happened to my little silkie. I told you guys before she always does the fish face like she is gasping. It's not bad but I anymore but she still does it after she drinks water.

Back
Top Bottom