Hands on hatching and help

I'd be like, I don't live in Alaska I don't know what to expect.....lol ;) So I meant to update on my lil silkie. I am sooooo excited to say, she is doing great!! You can barely tell now. Her limp is almost non existant. She's hopping up on the low roost and walking pretty normal. Not running yet, at least not that I've seen, but she's mended so well and it's only been just over a week. A lot of the reading I did about others that had the same issues we did, (almost to a Tee) stated that it took 3-5 weeks before their's healed completely, (and some never healed 100% and still had a slight limp), so I am stoked that she's made so much progress in this amount of time. :D
That's such great news! I thought about you today. Quick funny story...I have a little silkie chick out in the run (a tiny little thing even though she's about a month old) and she was limping around pretty bad. I was so nervous to check her out. I'm thinking she's injured or is going to be missing half a leg or something. Well when I picked her up and turned her over, she had a couple long pieces of my hair wrapped really tight around one toe going all the way over to the other foot and wrapped tightly around another toe!! It was like someone tied her shoe laces together! I was so relieved that that's all it was. I freed her and she happily ran off. :gig
I'm in the middle of a difficult hatch here. Had a cemani that was internally pipped but something didn't look quite right. I opened it up a little bit and saw that it had pipped very close to the bottom of the air cell and that there was a lot of liquid in the egg. It was inhaling liquid. There was nothing I could do until the veins in the membrane at the top of the air cell finished absorbing but I did open the air cell up all the way and tried to position it so it wasn't in the liquid so much. The veins absorbed and I pulled the membrane back and slipped its head out. It's now in a cup to finish absorbing. I'm not optimistic though - chances are good that it already aspirated some fluid.
I have had this exact same thing happen! And the veins were so heavy there was nothing I could do. I tilted it up in a cup and it was breathing bubbles. A couple days later my mom stopped by and the chick was all sticky with the funky dried down hair, so she was holding it in her hand and rubbing it's neck/back to fluff it up and all of this amber liquid came up out of its lungs. It's was super sticky like glue. After that the chick was fine! So I always recommend now trying to see if you can get anything up & out after hatch.
Well I just pulled a full assist. Told myself not to, but what could I do? My broody got off her last egg sometime this morning. It was cold. So I brought it inside, candled, and still saw movement. Heard chirping and could tell the membrane was weird when candling, so I made a safety hole, put it in the styro bator, and left for the evening. Get this...I didn't turn the incubator on! Its in my spare bedroom, a/c vent off, so it was about 80 inside the bator. So I got home, assuming it would be dead. Wrong. So I started opening the shell. Finally figured it was upside down, internally had pipped near the pointy end. Just what I had asked Pyxis about the other day! The membrane had drawn away from the shell, all the way down one side. So I proceeded to peel away shell and moisten membrane. It kicked a foot out and I had belly exposed, and could see that it was fully absorbed, so I chipped away until I found beak. I chipped alot away! It finally rolled out of what was left. I've now turned the incubator on, around 95*, and its laying, chirping. Dont know if it will survive, or if I will have to cull for whatever reason made it malposition, but it sat with no heat for at least 12 hours. This was an egg that didn't really matter to me if it hatched or not, so I kinda experimented. So we'll see. Oh, that bator hasn't been sterilized since I last used it either.
WOW!! Crazy!! What a little fighter. Seriously that's an amazing story!!! :fl
Here is our stubborn little Serama "Coco". As she dries her coloring is turning out to be quite pretty. She is a feisty little one. :) Thanks for helping me get her here guys! :)
Beautiful!

That's such great news! I thought about you today. Quick funny story...I have a little silkie chick out in the run (a tiny little thing even though she's about a month old) and she was limping around pretty bad. I was so nervous to check her out. I'm thinking she's injured or is going to be missing half a leg or something. Well when I picked her up and turned her over, she had a couple long pieces of my hair wrapped really tight around one toe going all the way over to the other foot and wrapped tightly around another toe!! It was like someone tied her shoe laces together! I was so relieved that that's all it was. I freed her and she happily ran off.
gig.gif

I have had this exact same thing happen! And the veins were so heavy there was nothing I could do. I tilted it up in a cup and it was breathing bubbles. A couple days later my mom stopped by and the chick was all sticky with the funky dried down hair, so she was holding it in her hand and rubbing it's neck/back to fluff it up and all of this amber liquid came up out of its lungs. It's was super sticky like glue. After that the chick was fine! So I always recommend now trying to see if you can get anything up & out after hatch.
WOW!! Crazy!! What a little fighter. Seriously that's an amazing story!!!
fl.gif

Beautiful!
Wow! Thankfully that's all it was!

She is sleeping with the kids under her now, right? And not a biggie for you if it doesn't make it? Then I'd go stick it under her now, lol...

If I had seen this before I went to bed, I may have tried it, but I missed it. This morning, he's all fluffed up and moving around a little, but looks like leg issues. The both-legs-sticking-straight-forward issue. I think my broody Katherine knew better, and now I almost wish I hadn't assisted. But I gave him some nutridrench and some water, so I'll give him a little more time and see what happens today.

Beautiful chick

That's what I was thinking too.
X2!!
Great job!
That's pretty cool, actually. I've never done turkey eggs. I agree, 10-12 days...ish. Lol.

Thanks, Ruby!
Fwiw I wouldn't try the no turning experiment myself. I have a feeling they would start but end up quitting on you without turning.

I know thats what happened to me. I'm almost embarrassed by the fact that my chicken time is my relaxing time. I find them peaceful and interesting. My husband lovingly calls me "The crazy chicken lady".
After being a stay at home Mom with 3 toddlers all within 3 yrs, I found myself not knowing how to answer people when they'd ask questions like ..."what do you like to do in your spare time?" Or "do you have any hobbies?" I felt like I didn't know myself anymore because I spent all my time taking care of others.
All of a sudden I've found something that I LOVE and jumped in with both feet. My husband is happy I've found something that I enjoy and have a way to kind of relax.
When I explain it to others, they kind of look at me weird and laugh. :p

:highfive: you're not alone! I'm also a stay at home mom to 4 kids ages 2-13 and chickens have become my hobby too. Thankfully my best friend also happens to be my husband and he enjoys the chickens and supports my chicken addiction...for the most part lol. My kids love the birds too. My non-chicken friends mostly give me the "oh...I understand now- she's crazy" look :lau

I'd be like, I don't live in Alaska I don't know what to expect.....lol  ;)

So I meant to update on my lil silkie. I am sooooo excited to say, she is doing great!! You can barely tell now.  Her limp is almost non existant. She's hopping up on the low roost and walking pretty normal. Not running yet, at least not that I've seen, but she's mended so well and it's only been just over a week. A lot of the reading I did about others that had the same issues we did, (almost to a Tee) stated that it took 3-5 weeks before their's healed completely,  (and some never healed 100% and still had a slight limp), so I am stoked that she's made so much progress in this amount of time.  :D  

Awesome news!!!

Well I just pulled a full assist. Told myself not to, but what could I do?

My broody got off her last egg sometime this morning. It was cold. So I brought it inside, candled, and still saw movement. Heard chirping and could tell the membrane was weird when candling, so I made a safety hole, put it in the styro bator, and left for the evening. Get this...I didn't turn the incubator on! Its in my spare bedroom, a/c vent off, so it was about 80 inside the bator. So I got home, assuming it would be dead. Wrong. So I started opening the shell. Finally figured it was upside down, internally had pipped near the pointy end. Just what I had asked Pyxis about the other day! The membrane had drawn away from the shell, all the way down one side. So I proceeded to peel away shell and moisten membrane. It kicked a foot out and I had belly exposed, and could see that it was fully absorbed, so I chipped away until I found beak.
I chipped alot away! It finally rolled out of what was left. I've now turned the incubator on, around 95*, and its laying, chirping. Dont know if it will survive, or if I will have to cull for whatever reason made it malposition, but it sat with no heat for at least 12 hours.

This was an egg that didn't really matter to me if it hatched or not, so I kinda experimented. So we'll see.

Oh, that bator hasn't been sterilized since I last used it either.

If I had seen this before I went to bed, I may have tried it, but I missed it. This morning, he's all fluffed up and moving around a little, but looks like leg issues. The both-legs-sticking-straight-forward issue. I think my broody Katherine knew better, and now I almost wish I hadn't assisted. But I gave him some nutridrench and some water, so I'll give him a little more time and see what happens today.

Beautiful chick

Nice job on the assist!! I had one of my Mille /Calicos who also had the straight forward legs after I helped it hatch. It would paddle furiously when it would try to stand.
1f622.png
I went ahead and tried a small ponytail holder with a twist in the middle placed just above the hocks and it was all good in a couple of days. I have no idea which one it was now. :fl for your chick!!

Back
Top Bottom