Hands on hatching and help

@FLminifarm did it hatch?? :pop

Not yet. Still wiggling ....so nervous about interfering and things going wrong! How do I zip? Use tweezers and take a tiny bit of shell next to the whole off? I can try the ointment first...but do I take it out and hold it in my hand while I do this then quickly put it back?

Not yet. Still wiggling ....so nervous about interfering and things going wrong! How do I zip? Use tweezers and take a tiny bit of shell next to the whole off? I can try the ointment first...but do I take it out and hold it in my hand while I do this then quickly put it back?

Either in your hand, or lay it on a towel, whenever you feel the time is right. It's well over 24 hours now, right? Try chipping the shell with tweezers, without the membrane first. Dab the membrane with vaseline or ointment(or warm water) and look for red blood vessels. If you don't see any, you can gently tear the membrane. Go in the direction of the way it should zip, if it were to do it on its own. Don't pull the chick out though, let it push its way out. Usually starting to assist will encourage the chick to start working itself.

Happy new year! Hopefully this will be a hatch to remember!

Last edited:
I put some antibiotic ointment and it does seem a little dry but not completely....I took a tiny bit of shell off and put it back. I could see the beak and it was chirping at me!

Hello, I posted when this page first started. I was having difficulty getting my chick to hatch. Well he was the only one out of 36 to hatch. Figured out I had drowning issues. I've done research and am braving up to try again. I'm attempting the dry incubation. Anyways, I just set the eggs. They are EE crossed with unknown big white rooster (my only hatched chick from my first batch, lol) I'm hoping they'll be cute muts
1f601.png
back on track, lol, at what point is candling considered too soon. I'm too exciting and the wait is challenging for sure. At what point will you start to see development? Thanks
263a.png

Last edited:
I put some antibiotic ointment and it does seem a little dry but not completely....I took a tiny bit of shell off and put it back. I could see the beak and it was chirping at me!

Chirping is a good sign! Why did you put the piece of shell back on?

Hello, I posted when this page first started. I was having difficulty getting my chick to hatch. Well he was the only one out of 36 to hatch. Figured out I had drowning issues. I've done research and am braving up to try again. I'm attempting the dry incubation. Anyways, I just set the eggs. They are EE crossed with unknown big white rooster (my only hatched chick from my first batch, lol) I'm hoping they'll be cute muts
1f601.png
back on track, lol, at what point is candling considered too soon. I'm too exciting and the wait is challenging for sure. At what point will you start to see development? Thanks
263a.png

You probably won't see much for development before day 3 in light colored eggs, later in darker shelled eggs. I candle on a daily basis, so it depends who you ask is too soon...lol Good luck, hope this hatch is better!

It hatched! I did some zipping and it kicked really fast! It has some membrane on its neck/head? Do I need to remove it or will it fall off? The inside of egg has a little clear/light yellow goo...is that a bad sign or ok

? It's moving around chirping and trying to stand up!!! :D

Chirping is a good sign! Why did you put the piece of shell back on

I didn't put the shell back on LOL I meant "put it back" as in "I put the egg back in the incubator" haha sorry for my bad sleepy grammar lol

Lol...oh...I probably should have figured that out... and I wasn't even having a New Year's drink...lol

Back
Top Bottom