Hands on hatching and help

Don't look at any goslings ;)

By the way, I will totally be spamming this thread with gosling pictures once my geese start laying.

Can't wait to see those cuties!

Also...what does one do when you are at day 22-23 of incubation and there are two left that have not hatched and I am not seeing any movement?

I have 2 that are on day 23, i float tested and they are alive. I worry they are malpositioned tho one still has veining at the bottom. I candled and saw no internal pips. Any advice?

Did the move in the water or just float? Gotta make sure it actually wiggles.

(i don't mean to sound rude, I only ask because there are some bad instructions on float testing floating around lol)

It moved so much it almost knocked the cup over lol.

Ah! Excellent!
smile.png

Day 23 is pushing it. Has the air cell drawn down? You had others hatch, right? How long has it been since the first one fully hatched?

I open the air cells to check for life... Have u pulled out the other chicks that hatched yet...??

Yes, the other chicks are out and in the brooder. I am using a heating pad not a heat lamp this time and they are such happy little chicks!!

I opened the air cell on one that I thought was dead in the shell....and it was....so sad :( There was a lot of fluid and it had not absorbed any yolk, but seemed fully formed. I don't know if I have the heart to open the other one, when candled it looks like a big empty space on one side with no veining and a small mass stuck to the other side....

Yes, the other chicks are out and in the brooder. I am using a heating pad not a heat lamp this time and they are such happy little chicks!!

I opened the air cell on one that I thought was dead in the shell....and it was....so sad
sad.png
There was a lot of fluid and it had not absorbed any yolk, but seemed fully formed. I don't know if I have the heart to open the other one, when candled it looks like a big empty space on one side with no veining and a small mass stuck to the other side....

Nothing says you have to open them. Granted, it can be educational, but sometimes we still don't know what happened, so don't do it if you don't feel like it.

If the ones that already hatched are more than 48 hours old, there is usually a slim chance of any more surviving. It happens, but its uncommon.

Nothing says you have to open them.  Granted, it can be educational, but sometimes we still don't know what happened, so don't do it if you don't feel like it. 

If the ones that already hatched are more than 48 hours old, there is usually a slim chance of any more surviving.  It happens, but its uncommon.
I wish i had waited longer. Even tho it is day 23, i opened the air cell and the chick's were malpsitioned. I got their heads into the air. I put them back in the bator as they had not absorbed all of the yolk and now they are no longer chirping or moving. I am so sad. Cant afford to get eggs on the auction page. Waiting for disability to start.

I wish i had waited longer. Even tho it is day 23, i opened the air cell and the chick's were malpsitioned. I got their heads into the air. I put them back in the bator as they had not absorbed all of the yolk and now they are no longer chirping or moving. I am so sad. Cant afford to get eggs on the auction page. Waiting for disability to start.

They may just be resting just keep the membrane I have assisted w/o everything absorbed and they needed a little more TLC but some that I waited on it was too late too so it's hard to know what is always the right thing it whatever your comfortable with and your incubation conditions etc

Back
Top Bottom