Hands on hatching and help

It's ready to come out. Pull back more of the shell and membrane so it can push out.
I’ll pulled a little bit more out and it pushed itself out pretty quickly after that. This is the shell, it’s didn’t really break that part. Does it all look normal? I’m really worried about the little thing. It keeps cheeping a lot.

Attachments

• 378F4434-D1B6-4090-8B8F-653758813F8F.jpeg
    378F4434-D1B6-4090-8B8F-653758813F8F.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 10
  • A5FB034A-0197-475C-86D1-51F3C472FC52.jpeg
    A5FB034A-0197-475C-86D1-51F3C472FC52.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 10
I’ll pulled a little bit more out and it pushed itself out pretty quickly after that. This is the shell, it’s didn’t really break that part. Does it all look normal? I’m really worried about the little thing. It keeps cheeping a lot.
Since it kicked out so quickly, that is a good sign that it was ready. Just let it rest now.

Congratulations on getting the little one out successfully! It does look like it was ready or at least very nearly ready. I see the naval is a bit raw, when I have any that hatch like that I'll dab on a bit of betadine to help prevent infection. The little one looks good otherwise, I can see it's opening its eyes which is a good sign (the ones I have who are really bad off often won't open their eyes). Hopefully it'll do just fine after it's had a bit of time to rest.

@Star2014 I think your chick will be fine with a little rest. You did fine!! I would put something soft under it, so it can't get hurt on the plastic grate. Looks like a little absorption still need to happen (if I'm seeing it right!)

*** What everyone needs to remember is that not all assists have happy endings, and by assisting, we must take responsibility for whatever outcome. Assisting is a very time-sensitive thing. Assisting too soon can be disastrous, as well as waiting too long.

Pipping the wrong end usually requires longer for the chick to actually hatch. If they miss the air cell, it can add another day to the hatching process, since we normally don't see the whole day that they spend breathing the air cell air. So we have to take these cases slowly. JMHO

I just assisted one of my chicks to hatch. It was the first to pip, yesterday afternoon. There was really no progress overnight. Then this morning another that had piped last night zipped and hatched. The other egg looked like it had started to make the opening bigger. I could see the beak trying to zip, but it was stuck in the same position for a long time and made no progress for hours. Another chick hatched and this one was still at the same stage and started chirping. I decided to help and come to find out, the head was in the wrong position and it was almost double the size of the other two. It was so crowded in there that one of the legs seems a little twisted. It is trying to walk and the leg seems to be getting better.

Back
Top Bottom