Hands on hatching and help

I just wanted to update on my chick I helped. She's doing great! She's the one on the bottom right.
Chicks (2).jpg

Hi there, so I have an egg. It's the last egg I'm waiting to hatch under my broody. It's an elongated egg that had hairline crack at both ends when I candled at day 10. So I used candle wax to secure it. Well now all siblings hatched day 20( silkies) and here day 21 is nearly gone. I candled to see if there was an internal pip and I see nothing. I know sometimes it can go to day 25. And I know that elongated eggs can get extra cramped and need help. So with that being said, should I be discouraged that there is no movement? I haven't water candled because there is a little chip over the aircell that I noticed day 20. But when I hold it I feel nothing. And I hear nothing but then again it hasn't internally pipped. I see veins still from just candling. What are your thoughts? Oh also I saw something that almost looks like it has another aircell on the opposite end ( small end) of the egg. Is it shrink wrapped? I just don't know at what point to help or wait.

I haven't water candled because
...not a good idea anyway.

What are your thoughts?
If you are experienced at assisting, and have an incubator to keep it warm while it finishes hatching, a brooder to keep it warm afterwards, you might give it a try.
But then you'll have to get it back with the others which might be tricky.

If you still see full, live veins. WAIT. If they look faded and old, assist. I have never intervened with a broody. I might just let nature take it's course. It will be hard for a broody hen to raise a sickly chick. My helpouts always need a day in the incubator and some TLC before they can be brooded. It's up to you though! I would make a safety hole regardless of what you decide.

Spraddle leg, assisted hatch and survival rates q.

Almost every hatch I’ve done I seem to get one chick with spraddle legs. I have switched to a better quality feed show breed specific feed, added vitamin supplements to the water, have non stick stuff in the incubator. This last hatch was really staggered for some reason maybe there is some cold spots. So I did have to open the incubator to take chicks out at 48 hours and there were still some hatches after that. This time round I had two that I had to assisted hatch with curled toes and a bit of spraddle leg. The humidity seemed to be ok as membranes weren’t drying out. One chick pipped and didn’t hatch for over 24 hours, the other pipped in the wrong end. I’ve used the vitamin water and electrolyte solution, but I haven’t been able to get either chick to eat. The first one died overnight, and the second is really looking weaker today. I have taped the toes, but not hobbled the legs. I’ve used the nest in a jar thing and the second one was looking stronger yesterday but still won’t eat and is looking really weak today.

I have had one or two assisted hatches that were successful but the vast majority haven’t been. I’m almost at the point of saying no more but then there’s the handful I’ve saved. I wonder if I’m intervening too late.

What else am I missing? What else can I do to reduce the number of spraddle leg chicks hatching and what if anything can I try to get the chicks to eat if they aren’t interested?

Also I’ve had these issues across two different lines of chickens and two different incubators. I know there’s always some percentage that don’t make it but it seems like we get too many.

Looking for supportive help. First time hatching eggs.
Some quick facts to hopefully help.
i use a nurture right 360. Humidity 50-55% days 1-17. Humidity in 60s-70s(mostly 70s) day 18 til today, day 21. Put in 13 bantam Easter eggers. 1 quit early. 10 have hatched and are fluffy and active (6 on day 20, 4 today.) They are still in the incubator. I have not opened it. Two eggs are left. One has done nothing. The one I’m concerned about pipped about 25-30 hours ago (I think. Hard to keep track. The chicks keep kicking eggs around so I can’t be certain.) I THINK I saw it moving at the pip this morning.The other chicks are loud and active, so I can’t see if it’s moving on it’s own or if they are shaking it. The membrane showing doesn’t seem to be dry/tan yet. Not sure if I should assist or wait. Figures this happens my first time! Thank you for any input.

Looking for supportive help. First time hatching eggs.
Some quick facts to hopefully help.
i use a nurture right 360. Humidity 50-55% days 1-17. Humidity in 60s-70s(mostly 70s) day 18 til today, day 21. Put in 13 bantam Easter eggers. 1 quit early. 10 have hatched and are fluffy and active (6 on day 20, 4 today.) They are still in the incubator. I have not opened it. Two eggs are left. One has done nothing. The one I’m concerned about pipped about 25-30 hours ago (I think. Hard to keep track. The chicks keep kicking eggs around so I can’t be certain.) I THINK I saw it moving at the pip this morning.The other chicks are loud and active, so I can’t see if it’s moving on it’s own or if they are shaking it. The membrane showing doesn’t seem to be dry/tan yet. Not sure if I should assist or wait. Figures this happens my first time! Thank you for any input.
This is what I would do.
Take the 6 'older' ones out and put them in the brooder.
Leave the 4 and take a look at the pip.
Hopefully you have some ointment or coconut oil on hand to moisten membranes if needed.
Maybe you've seen this, but.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

This is what I would do.
Take the 6 'older' ones out and put them in the brooder.
Leave the 4 and take a look at the pip.
Hopefully you have some ointment or coconut oil on hand to moisten membranes if needed.
Maybe you've seen this, but.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
About 20 minutes after typing my question, I went to check on the little one again, and after all those hours of nothing, it is pipping again! It has created a much larger hole already. I bet it hatches on its own this evening! It’s the first time I’ve seen it’s beak, and it’s moving!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 4
woke up this morning to two chicks in the incubator. Everything was very wet and noticed one had a thick red cord under her. I’m guessing she didn’t fully absorb the yolk sac. Since everything is wet and covered in a film can I assume the sac ruptured. She’s quite feisty so I’m hoping she will be okay but what do I do about the rest of the cord under her. Will it dry up?

woke up this morning to two chicks in the incubator. Everything was very wet and noticed one had a thick red cord under her. I’m guessing she didn’t fully absorb the yolk sac. Since everything is wet and covered in a film can I assume the sac ruptured. She’s quite feisty so I’m hoping she will be okay but what do I do about the rest of the cord under her. Will it dry up?
Normal for them to be wet right after hatching.
Humidity spikes big time after each chicks hatches,
but should come back down in a few hours.
Hard to know what the 'red cord' is.

Back
Top Bottom