Hanging treats suggestion...

L2fly

Chirping
Mar 19, 2017
Central Valley, CA
I saw a couple of pictures on here of people hanging ears of corn & apples from a rope as a treat, to give their chickens something fun to do & peck at, so I decided to try it. I used a screwdriver and threaded a piece of rope through a half head of cabbage and hung it about eye height to my hens.

About 5 minutes later I hear the girls screaming in their run and I assumed the dogs were bugging them, but the dogs were right with me. I walked over and the three of them are huddle in the far corner of the run, as far from the cabbage they could get, which is gently swinging on the rope.

Lesson learned... if you are going to try this, introduce it gradually, because chickens are chicken!! ;-) I lowered it and put it against the wall so it doesn't move so much, and will check in a few hours to see if they've overcome their fear of cabbage!

When it comes to treats, chickens overcome their fear of "the new thing" very quickly. Just leave it, and they'll figure it out.

I use eye screws screwed into the core of carrots, cabbages, and apples. Then attach that to a carabiner tied to a rope. Way easier.

I tried hanging a cucumber when mine were young and they freaked out. Had to remove it. Now that they are older I am trying a suspended apple. They were huddled in the corner for a while but now are moving around the run. Still haven't had the nerve to peck at it yet. Gonna leave it longer and see how it goes.

Edit....went out and took a couple of nibbles on the Apple myself and then they showed some interest in it and packed a bit at it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom