Happy Hen treats.

lindseythefork

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Humboldt County, CA
Good grief, those things are pricey! At my local feed store, they wanted seventeen dollars for a container of sunflower seeds and forty-seven dollars for dried mealworms! Are people spending fifty dollars on chicken treats??

Heck no!
Get some cracked corn they go insane for that! Or at least mine do, you can get it at your feed store for less then the price of there feed. They also like vegetable scraps and fruits, oh oh and the weirdest one yet, grape leaves from a grape vine if you have one in your backyard and wanna share with them lol

Quote:
I almost had a heart attack when I saw how much it all was. I can't imagine many folks being willing (or able!) to shell out that kind of cash on a treat for a chicken. Especially when anything and everything is a treat!!

Oh Man! There is NO WAY I would spend that kind of money on treats....especially when I can boil a little spaghetti and watch them go crazy over it....
droolin.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I was at Big Lots a while ago and saw a 10 lb. bag of black oil sunflower seeds for $5, so I recreated the same mixture at home for way cheaper!!! We call it "chicken crack" because of how crazy the chickens are when they see me coming with that tub. Ha ha ha....

There may be lots more mealworms in the freeze dried Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy than there are in a tub o' live mealworms, but 500 live mealworms for $3.99 is a whole lot cheaper than 17 bucks for the SMALL size of freeze dried mealworms. Plus, the chickens REALLY like the live ones. They won't turn their beaks up for the freeze dried ones (I did buy one small bag once, just to see, because the idea of not having to refrigerate 'em was nifty) but they don't go for them like they fight for the live ones.

And I buy my BOSS in 40# bags at the feed store for about ... 18 bucks? I think? Maybe 24?? Can't remember - that bag lasts a LONG time.

I've been buying a box of 500 to 1000 live meal worms at a time from the feed store -- they last quite a while and YEAH the hens sure like them, cost about $20 for 500 and $35 for 1000, so that's the best deal. I must admit though, I've been buying the Happy Hen Treats too. I found Meyer Hatchery has the lowest price for them for about $23 a container for that big one with 10,000 dried worms, but the shipping is pricey as the dickens. The hens love them too, but boy those 10,000 do disappear quickly! It is good to have them on hand for any "hen-sitters" who just can't bring themselves to pick up the live meal worms to feed to hens....I admit, they DO bite!
big_smile.png

Mine love homemade frozen yogurt/overripe bananas, BOSS from TSC 50# for $13, all the weeds from my garden beds (esp. sticker grass
woot.gif
), peas and beans from my garden, watermelon rinds, cantaloupe rinds, any bread, leftovers from the frig (have a 3# margarine carton for this and they start talking really loud with they see me coming with it!).

I have plans to grow my own mealworms...have not gotten to it yet.

If we don't pick our Crook-neck squash every day they get incredibaly huge and too hard for us to eat. I cut them up (it's hard) and feed to the girls, they love it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom