Happy to Join BYC

KappyFlock

Songster
Jul 16, 2022
SE Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! Our family is building our first coop to prepare for a small flock of layers. I have already spent hours and hours on BYC reading all the great information you have here. None of us has ever had chickens before, so this is all new to us and I am thankful that you are here sharing your experiences!
We are planning to get 6 chicks, maybe a mix of Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, and Barred Rocks. My husband is building the coop based on coops we've seen on here -- Wichita Cabin, The Palace, Clamser, and many others.
I guess that's all I have for an introduction and I will post more specific questions in their own threads.
Thank you for being here!

Welcome to BYC! So nice to hear you're building the coop before you get the chicks. Please be sure to post pictures of your coop. I look forward to seeing it.
Thank you! I definitely want to make sure we have a proper place to put them before we get them. I haven't completed the brooder yet but I'm toying with the idea of starting them out in the coop -- with proper heating of course (Mama Heating Pad). I'll be posting a question about that soon!

Thank you! I definitely want to make sure we have a proper place to put them before we get them. I haven't completed the brooder yet but I'm toying with the idea of starting them out in the coop -- with proper heating of course (Mama Heating Pad). I'll be posting a question about that soon!
Not quite sure what time of year you plan on getting them but if it's anytime soon and you're in the US you may not even need added heat if you were to brood them in the coop.

If you were in my area you for sure would not need any added heat right now.

Back
Top Bottom