Hard to describe problem!

Here is a picture. I tried to catch her to get a better short but she was not having it. You can sort of see the goo (does sort of look like a used condom) hanging off her.

If that is a shell membrane, she probably needs extra calcium. I use liquid 23% calcium gluconate from the cattle section of tractor supply. Dose I use is 100 mg/kg (0.2 ml per pound) orally once or twice a day until they start laying normal eggs. One should also offer free choice oyster shell.

-Kathy

Kathy, after I washed her off I was able to see the problem better. It appears she has poop that is crusted over her vent. I have bathed her in warm water and pulled chunks of it off, but it is really hard and it appears she has prolapsed as well, and I can't fully tell what is her and what is the poop. It seems she is able to poop but I don't think she can lay an egg, which is creating the other problem. I will try the calcium, but I already add oyster shells to their feed regularly and all the other ladies are laying fine. Thanks for your input. Please feel free to offer any other thoughts.

I have never wormed her. Where would I get that kind of medicine? A vet? Tractor supply? Online?

I do put several tablespoons of cider vinegar in the water supply every time I change the water.

Last edited:
You need to start my thoroughly cleaning her vent and getting all poop dirt and feathers cleared from the area. I would do this alone, but many people might find it easier to do with an extra set of hands.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I have never wormed her.  Where would I get that kind of medicine?  A vet?  Tractor supply?  Online?

I do put several tablespoons of cider vinegar in the water supply every time I change the water.

Any chance you can take her to a vet? After a thorough exam, I would de-worm with Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound for five consecutive days, this amount will treat roundworms,,cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms ans some species of tapeworms.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom