Hardware Cloth Vs. Chicken Wire

Something tried to dig into my hoop coop:
IMG_20231117_150837472~2.jpg

It hit hardware cloth ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Chickens are fine.

I have heard of people trying double or triple layers of offset chicken wire, would that work in a pinch? Hardware cloth is hard to work with an very very expensive around here to cover a 10x10 meat tractor. I am thinking it would also be a lot easier on uneven sold clay dirt to make an anti preditor skirt with weights rather then ground pegs? At the same time I don't want to take chances, so what is the best solution? We certainly have racoons, skunk and wild dogs/coyotes. Darn neighbour down the way thinks they are "cute" and feeds the varmints!

I have heard of people trying double or triple layers of offset chicken wire, would that work in a pinch? Hardware cloth is hard to work with an very very expensive around here to cover a 10x10 meat tractor. I am thinking it would also be a lot easier on uneven sold clay dirt to make an anti preditor skirt with weights rather then ground pegs? At the same time I don't want to take chances, so what is the best solution? We certainly have racoons, skunk and wild dogs/coyotes. Darn neighbour down the way thinks they are "cute" and feeds the varmints!
I would suggest 1/2" hardware cloth, simply because it works. Even using 3 layers of 1" or 2" chicken wire, a raccoon can reach through and grab a bird. Don't take chances!

i w
I would suggest 1/2" hardware cloth, simply because it works. Even using 3 layers of 1" or 2" chicken wire, a raccoon can reach through and grab a bird. Don't take chances!
ok if i must, I will! It will be about $1000 tractor though! So to keep the weight down, how do I attach it to pvc pipe? And what do you suggest I use for a skirt? Those nasty things dig nuts! I do use the preditor lights and move the tractors daily. So far only one dig attempt but no luck for him. I find the laying tractors to be crazy, crazy heavy though.

i w

ok if i must, I will! It will be about $1000 tractor though! So to keep the weight down, how do I attach it to pvc pipe? And what do you suggest I use for a skirt? Those nasty things dig nuts! I do use the preditor lights and move the tractors daily. So far only one dig attempt but no luck for him. I find the laying tractors to be crazy, crazy heavy though.
Someone on here was working on a chicken tractor skirt, but I don't recall which thread.

I have HWC over my entire hoop coop and as a skirt. It was expensive, but if I skimped to save money and lost some or all of my chickens, that would be expensive as well, and I would have let down my chicken friends. :(

i w

Here's a couple links for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/skirts-around-chicken-tractors.1467496/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/

i w

Can you show us a pic of the tractor frame?

Thank you to everyone who commented. I decided to return the chicken wire and go with hardware cloth after weighing the options.

I also learned we have rattle snakes in this new area….. so yeah I’m going to have to say no to snakes in my coop. 🤢
Great choice!
I really think the sting of the expense will fade very quickly; this product simply isn’t one to bring on any kind of buyers remorse, it’s that good and that necessary. You’ll even find that your chicken tractor/coop will be much stronger/sturdier, which will not only make it last much longer, but it will look good as well.

I find much relief while looking at our meat bird tractor now that we have really nice HC on it. I breathe a sigh of relief quite often just knowing my investment is safe and sound. Plus, they deserve that; they are nourishing my family, my friends and our small local community with their lives. They deserve to be safe, to live their best life everyday without stress or danger.. Things such as this are priceless, IMO.

I bet you’ll get over spending those extra dollars 💸 real fast! :fl

Take care! — Good luck on your Meat Bird endeavors!!
~ Johnna ;)

Back
Top Bottom