Hardware cloth vs chicken wire

Quote:
Don't use the staples that come in the little hand held staple guns. You know, the ones that are not much bigger than paper staples. You wan to use the larger stapes that are more like U-shaped nails. The kind that you use for nailing barbed wire to a fence post. You can get them for powered staple guns, or you can nail them in with a hammer.

UGCM

Ahhh! Screws and washers! I now remember seeing them on tons of pictures, but for some reason I couldn't remember or figure out what they were! Now it makes sense. Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay, I think I have my answer. No chicken wire. Looks like I'll have to expand my budget a bit and go for the Hardware cloth. Seeing as I live in the woods, my risk is a little high.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Yay Chicks, we are in the same boat. We are almost finished with our big run and we used chicken wire. We did nail 8" tall boards along the bottom and I plan to put raised pavers beds around the coop. My husband is putting the plastic netting on the top, thinking a hawk would not rip through it. I've never felt comfortable that it was enough and especially if a coon can climb up it.

I'm not sure what we have for predators. We don't live on the farm full-time yet. We need to build our house. We have 108 acres that is almost all pasture. The entire property is fenced and cross fenced. We also have two dogs out there (who hang around the coops) and donkeys in a nearby pasture. We have seen deer and turkey tracks.

I'm worried about my chickens!

No foxes around here. More worried about raccoons and skunks. I also did not dig a tunnel to sink wire into the ground but extended it out about a foot on the ground around the coop. Will be reinforced at the bottom with rocks. I've seen plenty of people around this area just use chicken wire with no problems that I've heard of... Now I'm thinking the latches I used on the coop are not raccoon proof either. Arrgghh!

There is no need to dig the wire into the ground. Just leave a little extra so that it can curl on the ground and secure with some heavy rocks and you should be all set. Racoons are very tricky and can definitely get through staple fasteners. I would use the most heavy duty stuff you can find when it comes to fasteners. try screws and washers. As far as the mesh goes, I found a company in New Jersey that will send you outany sample that you need in a 4" square so that you can take a look at the openings yourself.

http://www.bwire.com/

They are reliable when it comes to pricing and shipping. I used them 3 times in the past to pick up rolls of mesh and I have never had a problem with them. Foxes are very tricky and can fit through much smaller openings than can racoons, so if you see or hear of them in your area, get a finer wire mesh with a smaller opening!

so this "no chicken wire" discussion made me curious. i have some chicken wire scraps that i picked up out of a dumpster not long. i put on some gloves so i wouldn't cut my fingers and tried to pull the wire apart. couldn't even come close to pulling it apart. tried next to the edges, in the middle , etc., and it's pretty stout stuff. if i can't pull it apart, i don't think a raccoon will be able to. as for the staples, verdict's still out.

And yet, there are plenty of pictures that have been posted on this forum of big holes torn in chicken wire, that predators went through, to kill the owner's chickens. Sometimes raccoons, sometimes dogs. There are even more posts about the same thing, without pictures. Everyone is free to make whatever choices they want to, just be aware of your risks.

Back
Top Bottom