Harford County MD

Harford County, still 2 acres in rural residential districts.

Harford county:
Harford county is vague, in one instance any animal other than horses anything over 5 is a kennel? on another instance livestock on appropriate zoned properties with building / structures meeting set back requirements. will try to have a final breakdown on this soon, as many are unsure of the county stance.

update (livestock) in rural residental Zoning district only, Must have 2 acres. all buildings to house livestock must be 50 feet from property line. fences can be installed at line.

Bel Air:
A.
No owner, lessee or tenant shall erect or maintain any building, coop or pen upon any property in the Town within 200 feet of the property of adjoining owners of property in the Town for the purpose of raising, fattening, maintaining or selling any poultry or the eggs produced therefrom.

B.
No owner, lessee or tenant of any property in the Town shall have on his premises any poultry for sale or for any other commercial purpose whatsoever within 200 feet of the property of adjoining owners of property in the Town

I have ducks and am in need of your help. Please go to BRING LUCK FOR THE DUCKS on Facebook or email me at [email protected]

I live on 1.98 acres and the county is trying to take my pet ducks

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add some possibly new information to see if it helps anyone interested in keeping chickens in Harford County.

Some neighbors of mine have kept chickens, including roosters in my small residential neighborhood (single family homes) for years and it peaked my interest in keeping my own flock. I contacted the Harford County zoning board today to find out if I could raise a small flock (4) of chickens in my privately owned residential home in Edgewood. I was told that I would need a minimum of 2 acres of property. Unless I had that much property it was a definite no. I currently have a little less than 1/4 an acre, fenced, pretty large backyard. Since I didn't meet the "requirements" I was dismissed pretty quickly and not given anymore information other than that "the laws recently changed".
sad.png
I do have to say it was very frustrating due to the fact that the zoning board isn't giving away information that easily and there is absolutely no information online stating any changes to or the current ordinances (other than the information from the kind people in this forum)!!

I'm pretty upset as I was looking forward to adding a small flock to my animal family, teaching my child about animal husbandry, getting yummy eggs right from the source, fertilizer, etc, the list can go on and on. I think the current laws are a extremely restrictive for residents, especially when you look at Baltimore City's current chicken regulations. I don't know if there are any current groups in Harford County working to change the current laws but I would be interested in joining to fight the good fight!
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah harford county laws are stupid! Luckily I live on 1.7 acres, which in my mind is close enough, and I'm in the country so nobody should care. But what we ALL (all of us from the county), need to do is get together and go to a meeting ourselves and voice this together as a unified front!

Ahhh You're lucky! I wish I had more land. Even so, with the property size I have, I don't see an issue in keeping a small flock. I would love to attend a meeting or be a part of a Harford County chicken movement
yippiechickie.gif
(lol) I just don't know where, or when, or how to attend. I've always been a renter and it's just the past few years I've become a homeowner so I don't know much about attending local meetings.
idunno.gif

Thanks to all the helpful insight on past experiences. So basically to keep any hens or roosters in Harford County one needs to have a minimum of 2 acres of land and coup needs to be 50' or 200' feet away from Property line? I see some info for 50' and some 200'...What if the Land is Zoned for Rural Agriculture? Instead of Rural Residential? Is there a difference in this case. Thanks!

From my conversation with zoning, this 2 acre rule applies to any residential area. I didnt get much further into the new regulations as they heard that I had less than the required acreage and dismissed me pretty quickly from there. I wish I could get the new regulations on paper. Trying to find it online anywhere has been extremely difficult! I'd be interested in seeing it though!

The only way I got any info was to say that I had more than the required amount, and ack them questions about building permits, size, etc. For some reason they don't want to give that info out at all. I'm out at Harley school in Milwaukee but when I get back I'll try to delve into it better for us.

I have three acres in Harford County, zoned residential. Does anyone know if I can I legally keep a rooster with my hens? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom