Has any of your ducks done this?

Pekins Rock

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2023
My (close to 3 month old) Pekin duck Millie has been doing this wierd thing. I get to her closure, I have to step over something to get into where she is with the rest of her flock. when I raise my leg over to get in she slowly motions to lay down. She also will lower her neck and head all the way to the ground and her wings kind of widen to make herself look flat but wider. She starts making this soft clucky Mommy chicken sound. The first couple of times she did this I thought something was really wrong with her but I don't really think that's the case anymore. When she does this I pet the sides of her from her chest area down to her tail. she always is looking up at me too. After about 5 strokes of petting her and softely rubbing under her bill neck area she kind of snaps out of it stands up and acts like nothing happened. Has anyone else delt with anything like this before? This is probably the 3rd week of this it's kind of a habit of her's. It's almost like her greeting. She eats, drinks, swims, baths, splashes like she's supposed to. She's the only one that does this.

I lost my Drake 2 weeks ago. I live in town and there is a limit as far as how many ducks I can have. She hasn't layed an egg yet though.

Now that you have mentioned it she has been doing this goofy head bob thing where her head and neck look like a question mark and she bobs her head up and down. She seems very excited to have me fill food dishes or water containers.

Ducks do strange things, just like us i suppose for love....
Rudy (the drake I lost) grew up with these females. I don't really want to bring in a lone Drake into the mix cuz I don't want the rest of the flock to gang up on "The Newbie"

This is what my Indian Runner female was doing to my Muscovy drake and even my gander. Her drake was same age as her and wasn't showing signs of mating behavior so she went for the more mature boys. lol
IMG_2796.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom