Has Anybody Ever Seen Eyes Like This?

Euarto Gullible

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Pueblo, CO``
I thought about posting this in the genetics/breeding section, but I would figure that perhaps some people with veterinary experience would have their attention called to an abnormality like this more so than breeders who would simply write it off as a fault and cull the bird.

I have now 2 cockerels that have displayed this same sort of iris staining as they age. It is not the result of physical injury, the birds appear to be in great health, and when the chicks were born the eyes were normal (although both had blue eyes). As they aged, the irises get stained brown from the pupil outward, until the entire eye is brown with a ring of gold around it. Here are pics of my two birds. Has anybody ever seen this?

It seems like it would be normal because under a brown iris has blue pigment so seems normal but I'm not an expert or anywhere close

Euarto, I see what you mean with the pupils seeming to "weep out". I've had gray eye, an oval pupil, and some other strange shape. All the birds were wasting as well. Eating or not, but losing weight and you can feel the keel between your fingers.

So the only thing I can say is I would not say Marek's unless there was some other symptom to go with it.

How old were they when you noticed?

Last edited:
After Googling irregularly shaped pupils and abnormal iris pigmentation, I am amazed at how many different looking eye abnormalities are out there. Has anyone here seen this one before, with no well-defined pupil?

This is the more typical gray eye of ocular Mareks disease:

2773_808.jpg

Back
Top Bottom