Has anyone ever done this?

MamaPoult

🎶As soon as I get out here on the outskirts🎶
Premium Feather Member
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
HI all!! I had this crazy idea to breed my turkeys and chickens together. My jake is fertilizing all the eggs and mates the hens in a way that is very gentle. So it just kinda seems meant to be! Has anyone ever done this? My best friend got his hands on a naked neck silkie ticken so it's been done. Just wondering if anybody has done this crazy wierd idea and if so please share what you've learned!! Thanks😁

-Ticken crazy🦃🦃🐓🐓

HI all!! I had this crazy idea to breed my turkeys and chickens together. My jake is fertilizing all the eggs and mates the hens in a way that is very gentle. So it just kinda seems meant to be! Has anyone ever done this? My best friend got his hands on a naked neck silkie ticken so it's been done. Just wondering if anybody has done this crazy wierd idea and if so please share what you've learned!! Thanks😁

-Ticken crazy🦃🦃🐓🐓
Cross breeding chickens and turkeys was investigated and abandoned many years ago. If it was feasible the hybridization efforts would have continued.

I know that it is a misconception that Naked Necks (Turkens) are a cross between chickens and turkeys. This is not true. Naked Necks are and have always been 100% chicken.

I urge you to separate your turkey from your chickens before he starts killing them. This is just one more reason to not brood chicks and poults together. The imprinting causes the turkeys to lose the ability to understand that chickens are not turkeys. The adult size differences can lead to harmful consequences for the chickens when turkeys treat the chickens the same as they treat each other.

Turkey Genetics 101

"Not surprisingly, the turkey genome is similar to that of the chicken, differing most obviously by some two dozen chromosomal inversions. The turkey genome sequence is being used to fill in some gaps in the chicken genome sequence, although at 1.8 SNPs per kilobase, turkeys have a less diverse genomes than do chickens, which have 5.5. The reason: the ancestral chicken population was much larger than the ancestral turkey population. The turkey genome has five regions of exceptional genetic uniformity, and the mitochondrial genome is also much less diverse."

Back
Top Bottom