Has anyone ever trapped a fox?

Fox that are caught in a cage are usually bleeding from both front paws, as well as missing most of their pads. They have no skin on their nose and have broken teeth, and if they manage to bite through a wire, which they can easily do on most of the cheap farm store cages, they might have lacerations all over their body. Comparatively, the fox caught in foothold have nothing more than a crease in the fur of their paw and sometimes a small chaffed area.

Unless premier is making an eight foot high netting that I don't know about, don't think for an instant that it is any more than a temporary inconvenience to a fox intent on catching poultry.

Fox that are caught in a cage are usually bleeding from both front paws, as well as missing most of their pads. They have no skin on their nose and have broken teeth, and if they manage to bite through a wire, which they can easily do on most of the cheap farm store cages, they might have lacerations all over their body. Comparatively, the fox caught in foothold have nothing more than a crease in the fur of their paw and sometimes a small chaffed area.

Unless premier is making an eight foot high netting that I don't know about, don't think for an instant that it is any more than a temporary inconvenience to a fox intent on catching poultry.
Premier's electric net fence has proven the perfect deterrent for months with plenty of happy healthy fox roaming the neighborhood and my backyard woods. 300 feet of 48" primary layer of protection with several other secondary layers = happy healthy free ranging chickens and good karma for me. Long term thinking and thus far pretty darn long term results! Once bitten twice shy and that's all it's taken to keep them away from chicken lunch. Originally tried live trapping ~ caught just about everything but the fox, lol. OP ~ if you want to keep your chickens safe look into electric fencing.

If you stretch those months into years, you might see premier netting fail, as I have. It works great on happy, healthy fox. Get a fox with mange or one that is compromised trying to feed pups and they will be a little more persistent. Check out some foxes hunting mice on youtube. They have very impressive vertical skills. Happy, healthy foxes are not very dedicated, the first shock on the nose will send them packing. If they are having a hard time getting their natural prey, they will come back, knowing not to touch the fence, and they will risk it, rather than starve.

If you stretch those months into years, you might see premier netting fail, as I have. It works great on happy, healthy fox. Get a fox with mange or one that is compromised trying to feed pups and they will be a little more persistent. Check out some foxes hunting mice on youtube. They have very impressive vertical skills. Happy, healthy foxes are not very dedicated, the first shock on the nose will send them packing. If they are having a hard time getting their natural prey, they will come back, knowing not to touch the fence, and they will risk it, rather than starve.
Perhaps. I'll be pulling most of the fencing in the winter and leaving just a 100ft. section up. That should help preserve the life of the fence. I've heard from many that they can last for many years if properly maintained. Nothing is perfect thus multiple layers of protection will always be necessary. Still, I can live with that...and I'm happy to let the fox live his/her own life as well.

I don't know, my fence (650' of Premier netting) has been up, about 4yrs, year round. And I haven't had a loss to ground pred, since I put it up. And it has been tested. Still have plenty of fox, coons, possums, everything short of a bear around here, no losses. The fence has been through temps, from 0 to over 100F, with rain and snow, wind, whatever. It had a 60' tree fall on it. Cut the tree off and stood it back up. Works just like it did when I bought it. It's a very durable product. Very happy with it. Don't let a bunch of weeds and grass grow into it, and it'll just flat out work.

I'm not saying that your fence will deteriorate, I'm saying that eventually you will have a fox that actually wants to eat your chickens. Electric netting is better than nothing, but it is doubtful that a fox or coyote would ever allow themselves to be shocked by it, they can sense electric current from feet away, if they are somewhere that electric fence is common, they know to jump instead of crawl. Unless your fence is 6 or 8 feet tall, all you are doing is keeping out the ones with full bellies.

I've git plenty of foxes around my property as well as other creatures that would love to eat my chickens..however I had more injuries due to neighbors'dogs than wildlife. I ended up proofing me coop for everything including snakes, and I ve got a big run in with small chicken wire and a net on top..since then, foxes leave my birds alone...

Big dog live traps work just fine. I have caught these three over the last 18 months. Use a fresh dead poultry body as bait. If i have a death, that is what i do with it. Make sure to tie the leg of the bait to the bottom of the trap, so the fox cant just lean over the pedal, take it, and walk away. It isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be..

Back
Top Bottom