Has anyone made or used milk paint?

smile.png
In the 1800s they made paint with milk and pickling lime. Its non-toxic and very sturdy.

Well, since you are more northern than we are, it might work. My dad lives in Arkansas and was doing some work for some people, and the lady had some milk paint flown in from France. The temps get high there and the humidity is pretty bad, too. That paint spoiled and smelled the whole place up. They had to strip it, because they couldn't paint over it and cover up the smell. He said he wanted to vomit and the lady was really upset!

Just do your research and see what you find. Good luck with it, and keep us posted!

Shelly

Yep, use it all the time. Love it. It is a milk product, you need to keep it refrigerated.

It's different than the paint you'll find at the hardware store. It's thin, streaky and if not mixed well will be grainy. It doesn't cover easily. It's an all around pain in the rear to use for most applications but for my antique reproductions it's perfect! I want the thin, streaky, looks-like-a-two-year-old-did-it look.
lol.png

She ordered it from France?! Wow - they make it in the states and there are a ton of recipes online for it!
smile.png

Christine - do you make it or buy it?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, but this was a Rockefeller...
roll.png
Plus, it was about 20 years ago...pre-internet.
wink.png

Maybe the ones made here are better suited for our heat and humidity? I love the look!

Shelly

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom