Has anyone seen this before???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a warble, which is the larva of the botfly. The larva breaths and excretes through the hole in the skin and remains there until it matures - at about 3 weeks. They can get quite large. You don't want to try and pull one out, because they can easily break up and cause massive infection and almost always death. Covering it with vaseline or using alcohol CAN kill it, but if it dies before it backs out of the host, it will release the same toxins that it would release if it was broken by trying to remove it.

I have had kittens infected by these. Usually the botfly has to be on the host for some time to lay the eggs, which develop into the larva, which burrow under the skin. Often the animals are already weakened by disease, or are very young (like young kittens) and can't swat the fly or get away from it.

The hole looks pretty large. How long have you seen the hole?

It's a delemma for sure. Unless you want a vet bill to take it in and get it surgically removed, your best bet is to treat for infection, then wait and see. If you treat for infection and it is a staph infection, then it will help this too.

Last edited:
Could it be a spider bite? If left untreated, a poisonous spider bite, like from a brown recluse for instance, will create an ulcer on the skin. Does the hole look like dead flesh? It's possible that you couldn't see the bite under her feathers. I can't really tell by the pic, I'm just throwing an idea at you. Best of luck getting her well!

It does look more like an ulcer in the skin to me! But I am not a vet! I would clean and treat for infection it should not hurt to give the silver. I would try to clean and inspect more thoroughly! then apply some silver or neosporin cream ( with out Pain reliever)

Good luck and God Bless!

Quote:
In my opinion no, not at all. I take a little internally everyday by spraying it under my tongue (I know, I know; but I haven't turned blue yet!) and I use it as a toner after I wash my face. I make my own with a little generator and have found lots of uses for it. We have a little barn cat that has cronic sniffels and the only thing that helps is colloidal silver in his water. He hasn't turned blue yet either...

Seriously though, if you drink mass quantities of it for a long time, your skin could take on a bluish tinge. I've chosen to use a little everyday for about 5 years now. I might be kinda strange but I'm not blue...

love.gif
Wow thank you all for your suggestions! The hole is like a shallow crater and it is a red scab. The sides of this thing are like a massive roll. I will try and take a better picture today. I have been treating with this protocol: Looks like I could add colloital silver to the mix. The hole is pretty large compared to the ones I saw in all those disgusting pictures.
sickbyc.gif
Was sorry I looked also! I live in Southern CA and there is two species that live more in Central CA so I guess it's possible. There are horse properties within a few miles of here. We live in a suburb of Thousand Oaks.

Hi Chuck, I just consulted with chicken doctor Tina and here is the recommended protocol:
1) Flush wound with Betadine & water (mixed 50/50)
2) Apply "Pick No More" lotion
3) Apply "Wound Coat" spray
4) Apply "Swat" to keep flies/maggots off (ugh!) - very important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom