HAS anyone tried MARSHMALLOWS to trap RACCOONS?

I'm sure marsh-mellows would work. Somthing got into our trash the other night and drug it ALL OVER one side of our deck. I have a feeling what did it to
somad.gif

Quote:
it works but it is a horrible way to do something if it is what I am thinking of I have never read the book it6 seems it was used mostly in the poorest parts of Appalachia there are much better ways to achieve the same result.

I ran a nuisance control business for yrs and in cases where canned cat food couldn't be used, ( housecats ), I used Swiss Cake Rolls, coons just go bonkers for them ! Put a small piece of one outside the front of trap to give em a taste and they well jump through hoops of fire to get the rest
smile.png

I caught a family of four racoons (Momma & three teenagers) last year in 24 hours using marshmellows, dried dates (from our tree), and dried dog food (what they were stealing). I don't know which bait item was the most favored (they ate them all), but they were practically pushing each other out of the way to get into the trap! Only one fit at a time and I had to take the trap in the truck to go release them between captures. I must have released them far enough away, as they haven't been back. Now that I have chickens, and know better, I will probably give any new ones the same treatment the packrats get. Air/pellet gun at very close range to the head. Don't assume they will only go after your cat food during the night. Two, possibly three, of the ones I caught were during daylight hours.

I don't trap em, I kill them. 22 coons so far with a coulle of coyotes thrown in for good measure. Anyone want a pest pelt?

I highly recommend the use of marshmallows for catching raccoons. I thought we had ONE raccoon trying to get into our run/coop this summer. I set a 42 inch live trap with marshmallows and we caught FIVE huge raccoons, two opossums and a skunk! On occasion, I would toss in a piece of bread with jelly and a marshmallow on top just for good measure. They've got a serious sweet tooth. Sardines and cat food just didn't work for me.

Good luck. Go get 'em!

Back
Top Bottom