Has anyone used a ferret nation for chickens?

Dolly1218

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Colorado
Hello everyone. I was wandering if anyone who has indoor chickens has ever used a ferret nation cage as the coop? I realize I will need to adjust it a bit, add a roost and nest, etc. I want to have 2 or 3 silkies, raise them from day olds to adult all the while living inside. I will be redesigning my patio to a 'garden' so they have outside time. Currently Im in an apartment, but I will be moving soon. My apartments do not have bird restrictions, I kept a pigeon indoors here and they didnt mind. If anyone can share advice on keeping them indoors, or pictures of your indoor set up, or how you control the dust, I would appreciate it.
Please do not post telling me not to do this, I am looking for advice on how to keep my chicks happy indoors. Thank you.

I have a 2 level Ferret Nation for my ferrets and whenever I open it I think about how nice a coop designed like it would be. It's huge and you can actually get custom metal pans for it for shavings and it's steel so nobody can knock it over even when I have 4 toddlers climbing on the front.

I use my old ferret cage as a grow out chicken tractor sort of deal. But the FN would be so much nicer because of how easy it is to clean.

Thank you. I have a FN add on unit I turned into a rat cage, but I no longer have rats and I thought it was large enough to be a nice indoor coop for bantams. I will have to go to the store on payday to get a few things to adjust the cage. If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear!

What a great idea!

I have 3 of the double unit cages, actually. I have rats and love them to bits!
smile.png

I think some ideas to help you form it into an inside coop is...
1. get those pans talked about above. They would be *great* for not letting shavings fall out.

do you plan on having the middle open for them to use both levels? Or split? (I am unsure how small these silkies are, if they could use the hole or not).

2. I think for roosts you could use those parrot/bird rope purchases they sell at the pet store. you could make them at any level you want using those. They also have nice big ladders for parrots cages you could get at the pet store.

Good luck! How exciting!

Thank you! I only have one, but if I get more cages I would probably keep the holes closed. I have 3 bird perches already and I will be getting a ladder on pay day. How high up do the scatter guards go? They dont look very high in the pictures Ive seen. Would that prevent chicken messes from falling out or should I make my ow scatter guard thing? Thank you all again!

Right the pans aren't that high specially if they decide to start scratching/digging. I would suggest making your own if you can. I actually belong to a rat forum too and a lot of people buy the big black tubs from lowes or home depot for mixing concreate as they fight tightly and snug into the cages. Those would be high enough, those are at least a foot or two tall and are only $10-$15 a piece. The bass pans are about 3" only.

Or if you want to get the bass pans you could always attach a boarding / card boarding around the cage for a higher wall.

It just slides right in, a bit tight at the top area where it slides in but it makes a nice secure fit then. I will try to find some photos for you!

That would work perfect. I have my indoor duck in a 8 panel dog kennel in my room. Spraying them everyday will cut down on the dust. You might also want to consider a rabbit hutch or something like that. Old parrot cages are getting easy to come by but you would need to put down something on the floor since they have larger mesh that the chickens feet would fall though..

Back
Top Bottom