Has anyone used cannabis infused coconut oil on vent gleet?

It's so much fun getting and sharing new information! I'm a kindred spirit, Jen! I really appreciate the info!

The flock has been on the cannabis treatment for three days, and dare I hope to say I think I notice a general improvement? The butt feathers are all dry, and no new discharge. I systematically gave every single one a butt wash today to remove any old white deposits so it will be easy to see if there's any new.

As to the question about chickens and THC, no, they do not experience any effect on their brains from it, and it's not transmitted into their eggs as far as I know. I've been giving my chickens cannabis to ingest for years on the chance it may be a natural deterrent to parasites, and I nor anyone else has gotten high from eating their eggs.

The other question was how does the medicinal properties of cannabis become infused in the coconut oil? You do that by cooking the two together. I make medicinal gel caps and pain relief salve by cooking the ground cannabis in the coconut oil at a low temperature for around 48 hours. I use a strain of indica cannabis for these purposes, high in CBD compounds and low in THC so there's very little or no high from it but maximum pain relief.

Since it was legalized in my state, I've been having a grand time growing it and making medicinal products which I've been giving away to all my friends, my own personal response to the price gouging commercial dispensaries where a half ounce of salve costs $50. Everyone chips in for supplies, I grow the stuff and cook it up or brew up tinctures, and no one has to pay out the nose for the best pain reliever there is. I'm also having terrific success relieving my restless legs syndrome symptoms with it. RLS is one of the most difficult nervous system disorders there is to try to find a successful treatment for. Epilepsy is another disorder that is being very successfully treated with cannabis oil.

What's been really exciting is treating my chickens with it. I had a sick day-old baby chick with a very painful, swollen vent, and she was in awful pain when she would have to poop. The cannabis coconut oil relieved her pain immediately and healed her little butt in just 24 hours. Unfortunately, her failure to thrive syndrome cut her life short after just three days.

The flock has been on the cannabis treatment for three days, and dare I hope to say I think I notice a general improvement? The butt feathers are all dry, and no new discharge. I systematically gave every single one a butt wash today to remove any old white deposits so it will be easy to see if there's any new.

Oh this is fantastic! And this is just with feeding it right?

Since it was legalized in my state, I've been having a grand time growing it and making medicinal products which I've been giving away to all my friends, my own personal response to the price gouging commercial dispensaries where a half ounce of salve costs $50.

Ah, the other idle thought I'd had was regarding the expense of treating chickens.

What's been really exciting is treating my chickens with it. I had a sick day-old baby chick with a very painful, swollen vent, and she was in awful pain when she would have to poop. The cannabis coconut oil relieved her pain immediately and healed her little butt in just 24 hours.

Applied topically?

This is very exciting! You are not only sharing knowledge, you are creating it!

Last edited:
Yes, the apparent improvement has occurred with mixing the dried crushed leaves with their fermented feed in their morning ration only. I'll continue this protocol for a full seven days and see what the result is.

Yes, the baby chick with swollen vent improved with only topical applications of cannabis infused coconut oil. It relieved her pain and also countered the inflammation. It also has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, so it may have worked on bacteria that may have also been present. How do I know it relieved her pain? Because she no longer was chirping frantically as she tried to poop.

I have a seven-year old hen who was having apparent leg pain. She was limping, and her leg was showing signs of bruising. After several days of the cannabis coconut oil salve, she wasn't limping, and the bruising has gotten better. It also has worked great on scaly leg mites.

I am hoping you can help me out...Since you have some experience with cannabis and chickens.
I have a leg horn hen that damaged her keel bone. It has a giant abscess on it. I took her to the vet and she now has antibiotics for the infection. I have some feco that is 91.6%thc She is about 3 lbs. How much should I give her to help with the infection? Would it mellow her out? She is driving me crazy as she is not happy being stuck in a cage. Would a high cbd oil be more helpful?
Thanks

There's no doubt coconut oil, even on its own, would help heal the abscess. It has antibiotic properties. Cannabis infused coconut oil is even better because it relieves pain and swelling. But it's good you have her on an antibiotic because her infection may be systemic.

High CBD cannabis strains have more pain relieving compounds. But I use CBD and THC hybrids as well as high CBD strains to equal effect. I carbolize the leaves of the hybrids at twice the length of time to release the CBD compounds before making my pain salves, and they prove to be as effective, if not more, than using a straight CBD strain.

No. Chickens will not get high. They do not react to the psycho active compounds (THC) as do humans.

Glad you dredged up this thread so I can provide an update on the effectiveness of cannabis for vent gleet. I've found it has no real effect and is of little use for this application.

Back
Top Bottom