Has anyone used Vetrx Poultry Remedy to treat scaly leg mites?

chickiyo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
My two RIRs have some pretty bad scaly mites that have caused them to stop laying. I tried the olive oil treatment but it didn't really work. I was looking at Vetrx Poultry Remedy on amazon and was wondering if I should buy it for them and rub it on their legs as it says it can be used to get rid of scaly leg mites. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product? I want something that will work fast but not be too chemically invasive.

Please help!

Personally I have never heard of it stopping chickens from laying but I spose since its very uncomfortable that it possible. I had a rooster whom I bought a few months go and he had the worst scaly mite that I've ever seen on a bird that can walk. His scales were rotting and so was the flesh under it. He himself stunk and he very quickly got a bath in nice warm water with baby shampoo to try and clean him. I then soaked his feet in Epsom salts and warm water for 10 min then I took a nail brush to his legs ( gently of course) to try and remove the rot and scales and dirt. After this and some rinsing I used an old pair of tweezers to remove the build up from under the scales and to remove the old rotting scales that were more stuck on. after this and another soak I put on some antiseptic ointment and once that dried I slathered on vasaline.

Each week for a month I re did this after a month I just washed his legs in salt water and put on the vasaline.. Now his legs are looking much better and his scales are starting to grow back. In theory you can use almost anything that will smother the mites but a basic is vasaline. Cooking oil is best used on faces and backs of necks for face/ neck mites which cause balding and swollen faces as it is easy to apply and not goopy.

chickiyo, did you ever have success with the VetRX? I am looking at using it on one of my girls that has scaly leg mites. Any help or experience would be appreciated.

Janet

In case someone finds this in the future, this link below has info about using this product. I will try to come back and say how it worked.

Poultry Protector from Manna Pro has worked for us in the past, but you must use it every day, and everyone local is out of it. We need to treat a skittish bird, and are hoping that VetRx is stronger and needs less applications.

Treating Scaly Leg Mite with VetRx info-
https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/how-to-treat-scaly-leg-mites-on-chickens-naturally-/

In case anyone finds this in the future, I think the vetrx did help with the scaly leg mites. We weren't able to do many applications, but it still worked. We mixed some of the vetrx oil with coconut oil and applied liberally.

In case anyone finds this in the future, I think the vetrx did help with the scaly leg mites. We weren't able to do many applications, but it still worked. We mixed some of the vetrx oil with coconut oil and applied liberally.
Thank you for posting this! I was reading this thread and found your response helpful. How long did it take for your scaly mites to clear with the vetRX coconut oil combo?

I think it was about 2 weeks. It may be less time if you are able to apply it every day. You can also spray on Manna pro poultry protector before applying the oil, that would also boost effectiveness.

Back
Top Bottom