Hatch-Along - Hatching Day MARCH 25 (first time using incubator) ANYONE ELSE?

I lost one.It started leaking water when it pipped so I grabbed it out of bator. It was already gone. Opened it up and at first I thought twins but no 1 gigantic chick and it had even taken over its air cell for growth.
Hmmm... is it imperative to take a leaking egg out? Would others get infected or killed if I leave a "bad" egg inside while they hatch?

Please give me more info in case I experience the same thing... My only worry would be to take out a chick that is still viable cause I really have not seen a dead-chick-egg leak and may be confused.

Hope hatching is still going Ok... this is soooo exciting!!!

Ok so what happened with mine was it pipped downwards. Not on side or facing up. I noticed it because it was dripping what looked like bubbles. I just had another 1 that pipped downward again today that looked same way. If you turn over to see pip you see hard crusty. I prefer to take the deceased out. I wouldn't want chicks picking it. I am sure you will not take out one that is still alive. Like I said they crust over pretty quick.
Whenever I open bator I pour some boiling water in tray. That way it stays moist.

Any chicks yet?

So far today I have 6 more hatched. Two of which I had to help because they were in weird positions and couldn't finishing zipping.

Lost 1 last night and 1 this morning

So I have 8 chicks and 2 deceased.

13 eggs left in bator half way through day 21

I had a question that I think you just answered... My humidity is going down and I wondered if it was ok for me to open the bator and add warm water or just let them locked... I guess I can open right?

I am so excited I can bearly teach the boys today (I homeschool)... they are as excited but the incubator is not in the classroom so they can concentrate better... however I leave the classroom all the time
yippiechickie.gif

That
I am so excited I can bearly teach the boys today (I homeschool)... they are as excited but the incubator is not in the classroom so they can concentrate better... however I leave the classroom all the time :yiipchick

I know how you feel. I was getting up at 2 am just to check on them.

I have a hole I insert tube into for water. I only pour it in when I have to open door. If you don't have tube just use warmer if adding a lot or hot if adding little. That way your humidity comes back fast from having door open.

Got really quiet here for me. Other than the eight little terror raisers in there. No more pips so far.

Hi! I was so glad to see this post! I just put my first eggs on lockdown and am so nervous! Hatch date should be Thursday, but I'm checking on them all the time. I also have mostly dark eggs (Frizzle Ameraucana x ??) and it was hard to candle them, so I have all of my original 10 still in the incubator. I am pretty sure that 1 was never fertile, but I'm a newbie and didn't want to toss a possibly viable egg.
Any updates from your hatches? I am so excited!!

Hi! I was so glad to see this post! I just put my first eggs on lockdown and am so nervous! Hatch date should be Thursday, but I'm checking on them all the time. I also have mostly dark eggs (Frizzle Ameraucana x ??) and it was hard to candle them, so I have all of my original 10 still in the incubator. I am pretty sure that 1 was never fertile, but I'm a newbie and didn't want to toss a possibly viable egg.
Any updates from your hatches? I am so excited!!
Hey welcome! I have heard some many people complaint about not being able to candle dark shelled eggs
th.gif
... bet it is very frustrating. There has to be a way of at least knowing if there is anything going on inside. I have not done this but I was just thinking that maybe weighing the eggs could help (if this makes any sense at all)...

The thing is that I have noticed eggs change weight as they developed. If you ask most people would tell you (included myself) that they gain weight. Well, research shows they loose weight, but that they "feel" different because weight and contents change and redistribute (so they feel different).

Anyhow... If you can track weight loss periodically you will be able to asses some change which will tell you things are working in there. Here's a link...http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/incubation.html

I have to clarify I could not track the source so I am just sharing the most trusted info I could get in a little amount of time... I will keep checking.

Back
Top Bottom