Hatch help!

JennyWrenHat

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
I have just two duck eggs in my incubator after the other four sadly didn't develop. They external pipped at same time about 35 hours ago. One progressed and hatched this afternoon and is now drying in the incubator but the other egg doesn't seem to have progressed at all from the initial external pip. It's getting a bit of a kicking about by the new floppy duckling. I haven't detected any sound or rocking although it's been hard to see as the condensation is quite heavy. I look a pick of it earlier today - It's the egg on the right. The one on the left hatched about 4 hours ago - about 15 mins after this photo was taken. It looks the same now and doesn't seem to have progress in the last 12-18 hours. Can anyone advise me what I should do? I hope it hatches as I don't want the hatched duckling to be lonely!

Attachments

• 1620838417543.png
    1620838417543.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 9
There’s a few videos on YouTube you may have to help him or her out of the egg. You have to VERY carefully peel off the outer shell. You should watch a few videos before doing so so that you don’t cause any bleeding out. Good luck!

There’s a few videos on YouTube you may have to help him or her out of the egg. You have to VERY carefully peel off the outer shell. You should watch a few videos before doing so so that you don’t cause any bleeding out. Good luck!
Thank you for your advice - should I wait longer? I'm worried about disturbing it or shrink wrapping if I open the lid - I've read so much advice not to do this?

Quick update it looks like it's on the move! The hatched duckling is really giving it a tap and a poke and this seems to have woken the little chap up! Another question though, my incubator is too small for duckling to stand upright and he looks a bit squashed - is this ok for 12 hours or should I remove him early?

Would be really grateful for some more advice please! Another update, I was hoping to see some progress on duck egg 2 when i got up this morning but the external pip just looks brown and quite thick. I took the hatched duckling out to put in the brooder (hatched 20 hours ago) because he was crashing around and kicking egg 2 from one end to the other. I picked up egg 2 and could hear peeping and gentle tapping so put him straight back it but the hole is very small and brown so it looks like no air could get through. I sprayed the egg with warm mist before putting straight back in. It's external pip was now over 48 hours ago - should i assist now or leave a bit longer now he's on his own in the incubator?

help him find where the airbag is and use his external pip to peel of shell and he definitely has his blood vessels dried up so I wouldn’t worry much about him bleeding out

help him find where the airbag is and use his external pip to peel of shell and he definitely has his blood vessels dried up so I wouldn’t worry much about him bleeding out
Thank you for replying. I can see his beak in the tiny hole now so hopeful he's getting some air and getting ready to come out - will leave a couple more hours and then see - such a long time since external pip - 50 hours!

I just hatched a baby duckling that had a harmed leg. After a couple hours they are fine and walking around great now. I do not know the gender yet, for it is only one day old. It’s name is Pebbles and has imprinted on me. I don’t know much any tips will help. Things I would like to know: What toys do they like? What happens if I give it medicated chick starter? What tubs for first swim do you recommend? How do I tell the sex? Can I only raise one or do I need multiple? How do I build a duck swing? When can i give them a kiddie pool? How do I get the poop of it’s bum? And lastly, what feed and waters do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom