Hatched chicks disturbing unhatched eggs.

PCSchool

Hatching
May 20, 2016
Nobleford, Alberta
We had an incubator in our classroom. At day 18, I took the eggs of the turner and placed them on the wire mesh at the bottom of the incubator. A few hatched during the day and they were taken out and placed under the heat lamp in the brooder (cute yellow kiddy pool). However, three chicks hatched overnight, knocking the rest over to the side. None of them hatched! What did I do wrong and how to avoid this from happening because now I am hooked.

We had an incubator in our classroom. At day 18, I took the eggs of the turner and placed them on the wire mesh at the bottom of the incubator. A few hatched during the day and they were taken out and placed under the heat lamp in the brooder (cute yellow kiddy pool). However, three chicks hatched overnight, knocking the rest over to the side. None of them hatched! What did I do wrong and how to avoid this from happening because now I am hooked.

"...over the side." Sorry but I do not understand this reference. The rest of the eggs?

The eggs were all nicely sitting on the mesh. But the ones that hatched during the night must have been running around, making all the other eggs to roll over to the four sides of the incubator. I think this must be bad for them.

I've not found this to be a problem, hatched chicks do knock the eggs all over. Unless you hatch your eggs in cartons there really is no way to stop this. It is what would happen under a broody hen. Hatched chicks and the hen would move them about. For me everything stays in the incubator for 24 hours after hatch. I don't open during lockdown or if chicks are hatching. Opening can cause a drop in humidity which inturn can cause chicks to become shrink wrapped in the shell. This may or may not happen but I find it good practice to not open just incase.

Did you leave the unhatched eggs in there to give them more time? Not all chicks hatch at the same time and not all eggs hatch I'm afraid.

Good luck with your next hatch :fl

Back
Top Bottom