Hatcher cheats 4-H Kid

Cheats Kid

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
My son took his own allowance and bought a Emden goose from Heartland Hatchery/Alan Nieder in April. He was hoping to breed it with his other Emden goose and show it in 4-H. I don't know what the goose is but it is not a purebred Emden. It looks like a crossbreed between an Emblen and African goose. My son cannot show it in 4-H or breed it with his other goose. Long story, short, after several phone conversations with Mr. Nieder, he refused to give my son a refund. $13 is alot for a child to be out of. He did not deliver what he was selling. He has no heart, he is just in it for the money and he doesn't care who he hurts.

Not sure why hatchery birds wouldn't work for 4H? I judge 8-10 4H shows every summer & 99% of what I see are hatchery birds. In 4H the emphasis is much more on the care the birds receive than on the birds themselves. The intent of 4H poultry programs is to teach good husbandry practices & responsibility. In the rare instance where I see a well bred, show type bird it is almost always a bird that was purchased just for the show or a parent's bird the child is showing. Almost universally the children showing these birds have much less poultry knowledge than the child that raised an order of hatchery birds. 4H is about learning not competing.

I am really impressed with your outlook and wish more judges thought that way, hear time and again about judges just jumping at kids telling them their birds are "crossbred" when a leg color might be alittle off, or feather color not quite perfect. Instead of explaining what was wrong with the birds and how they might choose a better bird from their flock next time, how they need to order more than 2 or 3 of a kind to have enough to choose from. Help them with explainations on how genetics of even the best birds dont produce 100% excellant quaility. Seen kids in tears because of judges putting down their birds that they worked so hard to raise. Kids need to learn about the fun first and the compitition later. I commend you for staying so true to the kids.

Thanks Heartland Hatchery for bumping this really old thread up so that people currently shopping for spring poultry can read it. Such a good idea.

Thanks Heartland Hatchery for bumping this really old thread up so that people currently shopping for spring poultry can read it. Such a good idea.

4-H works differently in each state.
We have been the 4-H reps for years and poultry is done through the county 4-H offices. The 4-H chicks must be purchased through them to level the playing field for the kids. This is not the car on many other areas but it is how it works here.
One of the great things they do in TN for large livestock now is how the state awards are done. The become premier exhibitor you must not only need your own but Excel in all the areas (including showmanship and skillathon). This means no matter how much mom and dad "know" or "spend", the child must perform and exhibit skill and knowledge to succeed at the highest level. It levels the playing field.
If you are in Roane Co and want to participate in the 4-H poultry project contact Grant Palmer at the extension office in Kingston.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should enlighten us with the breeder/hatcher to save future folks the heartache. Sorry about your son's loss. Maybe you can sell it for $15 and try again?

You know he raised it from a baby and the goose has a name. It would be very hard for him to disattach from him. My son as autism and I don't think he could sell his goose.

How can we help him to recover? Does he have room for another goose for his 4-H project and another source to get said goose from? I hate to see anyone take advantage of a 4-H kid and get away with it.

Back
Top Bottom