hatchery quality birds vs. show quality birds

toucan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Costa Rica
I hope this is the right forum to ask these questions, so here goes:

what is the general quality that can be expected when ordering from large hatcheries?

obviously large hatcheries aren't selling show quality birds, but with careful flock management and selective breeding, can show quality birds be obtained from hatchery stock? if so, how many generations does that take?

the reason i'm asking these questions is because i'm living in costa rica, and once I get the import permits I will order a large number of day old chicks from a large hatchery. ordering show quality birds will be too costly for me right now. I don't plan on showing birds, but I would like to build up very genetically strong flocks of several pure breeds.

minorcas are one breed I plan on importing. I have read that the hatchery minorcas are much smaller and have lower egg production than exhibition quality minorcas. is it possible to achieve these larger exhibition quality minorcas from hatchery stock?

minorcas, white leghorns, buff laced polishes, silver laced polishes and silkies are the first breeds I plan to import. any info that anyone has on hatchery quality birds of these breeds is much appreciated.

thanks!
m

Show quality birds are bred to conform as closely as possible to a standerd for the breed. Depending on the birds you get from the hatchery, it could be possible to get show quality birds. It would be extremely difficult though, and require a great deal of knowledge on genetics, as you would have to breed out a lot of negative traits.

Hatchery birds tend to be better for production, since they are bred specifically for that in addition to maintaining primary breed characteristics. If you don't plan on showing, then hatchery quality will be absolutely fine for your flock.

Thanks! we'll give it a try! my target date for getting into the new house is February, so hopefully by sometime in march, i'll be able to start getting my flocks going.

Try Ideal Hatchery in Texas, USA. I have had t told to me that they cull their breeds against the APA SOP.
That some folk have won at shows with their birds. I don't remember what the breeds were. Also try checking with the US clubs for your chosen breeds. Might be surprised they can help you get top quality stock and save you time and money breeding up hatchery stock. What have you got to lose?
Best,
Karen
in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Thanks! we'll give it a try! my target date for getting into the new house is February,
so hopefully by sometime in march, i'll be able to start getting my flocks going.
Mike, did you see on CNN.com the news about the 3 new rainforest species the researchers found
in the remote rainforest plateau in Australia? Was reading about it this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/world/australia-new-species-found/
Pretty cool! 2 frogs and a skink.
I thought it was pretty cool the Blotched Boulder Frog's young developed into froglets within the egg
while the male guarded them.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
yes, ideal is where I was planning on going because I travel to TX every couple months. I doubt they ship to costa rica so I will try to arrange something where I pick up a shipment from them when i'm in TX and drive it with me to the airport on the day I fly back.

Mike, did you see on CNN.com the news about the 3 new rainforest species the researchers found
in the remote rainforest plateau in Australia?

wow....cool. they're calling the area a "lost world"....I imagine they're going to find more new species there.

I think so. Looks like they have just broached the surface of what is there. I wonder if they will run into Tarzan ?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom