Hatchery with the "Best" Saipan Jungle Fowl?? PLEASE READ!!

Pics

Gresh

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
North Carolina
Hey, all. I suppose you're getting sick of my frequent topics, but this is a chicken website, and I like chickens--correction, I LOVE chickens.
big_smile.png

Particularly, I love Saipan Jungle Fowl (though I don't currently own any
hmm.png
). Love their Oriental body frame (i.e. long neck and legs, short tail, upright posture).

But I cannot afford to get Saipans from any breeder at the present moment. However, I know of three hatcheries that sell Saipan Jungle Fowl (whether the birds are pure or not, only God and the hatchery know). I was wanting to know if anyone has purchased Saipans from the following hatcheries:

1. Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, Missouri
2. IDEAL Poultry in Cameron, Texas
3. Purely Poultry (somewhere in Wisconsin, I believe)

I would like to know what you thought of the Saipans you purchased. It would be helpful if you analyzed them according to these questions: Were they relatively healthy throughout their lives (including state of health on arrival)? Did they reach the generally accepted weight of 12 lbs. (males) and 10 lbs (females) at maturity (roughly 3 yrs. old)? Were they drastically different in color than a purebred Saipan? Did they grow well on commercial feed, or did they need some supplemental protein? Given enough human interaction, did the males turn out docile even when you came near their females? Did they have the correct Saipan/Shamo body structure? What weights were they in their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years, respectively? Lastly, though they were probably mutts, did they seem to meet the unofficial Saipan Jungle Fowl standards promoted by breeders?

I know these are a lot of questions, but if you can answer as many as you can, I would be very appreciative. I am not intending to breed perfectly pure stock (otherwise I would buy from a breeder), so please do not lecture me about the impurities/infirmities of hatchery stock: I am well aware of them. I just want to know if these hatcheries sell a chicken that looks like a Saipan, is built like a Saipan, is roughly as tall as a Saipan, and weighs roughly as much as a Saipan.

Please bear with the details, and if you don't know yourself the quality of these hatcheries' Saipans, but you know somebody who does, please ask them to post here with their answers.

God bless, and happy chickening!
wink.png

I will be ordering Saipan Jungle Fowl from Cackle Hatchery next spring... I ordered some chicks (not Saipan) from this earlier this year and was very impressed with the health and vitality of the ones I received... Here is a link to their video of their Saipan breeding flock... they seem to look pretty decent and I really love the coloring on the hens.... at $8.35 a chick (Straight Run) it's not too bad of a price (I paid $10.50ea. for my French Black Copper Marans)

Here is a link to a youtube video of their Saipan breeding flock

My Saipan ladies from Purely Poultry. 10 months old. These are the chicks in the earlier post. They free range, get a lot of deep woods time and are good at avoiding predators. Top picture they chased away some deer from a feeder. I'm looking for a rooster for for them. two of them started laying eggs.

These were at 19 days of age. Looks like could turn out any colors!
jumpy.gif

Any update on these chicks?

I have two from Ideal right now. I **really** want birds that look like wvcooper's birds posted above, or like old_cowhunter's (I think) in another thread. I was sure I had a pair, one was feathering in faster and lighter, while the other was slower and darker. Now the one I thought was a pullet has gotten darker and darker and so I think may actually be a cockerel also. I haven't committed myself to breeding/raising/preserving any breed yet, but I'm very tempted to invest in some good real Saipan.

How can your husband bring any poultry from Saipan? There are import rules and even hatching eggs are not allowed without a Lot of red tape, then you have to pay for quarantine in an approved quarantine station in the US. In some countries, import from those countries is banned. This is to protect the birds in the US from the diseases that are rampant in those countries.

Where did you get your hatching eggs? and it's spelled Araucana and Ameraucana. The mispelled names are often the way it's spelled at hatcheries who try to sell their easter eggers as that.

I have raised them for several years now, even shown some and gotten 2 first place's at a local show.
I also have Tomaru, Cemani and Sumatra...some pheasants, Muscovy ducks, mute Swans, guineas.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom