Hatchery with the "Best" Saipan Jungle Fowl?? PLEASE READ!!

These were at 19 days of age. Looks like could turn out any colors!
jumpy.gif

Any update on these chicks?

I have two from Ideal right now. I **really** want birds that look like wvcooper's birds posted above, or like old_cowhunter's (I think) in another thread. I was sure I had a pair, one was feathering in faster and lighter, while the other was slower and darker. Now the one I thought was a pullet has gotten darker and darker and so I think may actually be a cockerel also. I haven't committed myself to breeding/raising/preserving any breed yet, but I'm very tempted to invest in some good real Saipan.

So, this thread is old but just in case. My husband is in Saipan. Locals have offered him fowl as gifts for medical help and such. They look just like Saipan Jungle Fowl but the internet says they are no longer there. How can this be if the chickens running around Saipan look just like Saipan Jungle Fowl? Anyway, he is going to bring me home a bunch anyways. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

How can your husband bring any poultry from Saipan? There are import rules and even hatching eggs are not allowed without a Lot of red tape, then you have to pay for quarantine in an approved quarantine station in the US. In some countries, import from those countries is banned. This is to protect the birds in the US from the diseases that are rampant in those countries.

And he's not going to risk his job over it. They have a guy that knows what they can and cannot bring back. At this time, I don't know if he can or cannot. But if it is feasible, we are going to do it.

I hope it works, Saipan may be a commonwealth of the US but there may be restrictions or other issues with bringing them into the mainland if there is disease present there.

I will be back after I get a response from the USDA. Seems like oriental type places seem to have more restrictions. I could be mistaken. I have never imported anything like this before.

Back
Top Bottom