Hatching assistance - help!!

Yes she is very healthy! More than that, I think she is hoping to be top of the pecking order :) Although she is still pretty calm, and doesn't seem to mind a cuddle.

Happy to know she's doing good! Here's a photo of Liberty almost grown up, she was the one I helped with hatching too. Might need to trim her crest she can't see much, sweet bird, she's very docile.

Out of the 8 eggs that hatched it looks like we have one ancona bantam rooster (he is crowing already - well trying!), 2 white cross breeds (breeder calls them heritage long lays), 2x Browns, an Easter egger and a d'uccle. Quite a mixed bunch! Pretty sure we have only one or maybe two roosters out of the 8 - yippee! Last hatch was only 5, out of which 3 were Roos.

I need help with a chick that was dropped. It pipped yesterday externally, and should have hatched today. My 5 year old got the egg out of the incubator so she could listen to it, but she dropped it on the counter. There was blood on the counter, egg is cracked but the chick is still alive. It's been about 8 hours now, she is still alive, beak is out and she has a strong voice, but I don't know if she is able to zip or turn in the shell. I've put droplets of water on the exposed membrane every couple of hours and she moves a lot when I do that, but if her legs are broken or she can't turn then she won't be able to finish getting out. When should I assist, and how much should I assist?

I need help with a chick that was dropped.  It pipped yesterday externally, and should have hatched today.  My 5 year old got the egg out of the incubator so she could listen to it, but she dropped it on the counter.  There was blood on the counter, egg is cracked but the chick is still alive.  It's been about 8 hours now, she is still alive, beak is out and she has a strong voice, but I don't know if she is able to zip or turn in the shell.  I've put droplets of water on the exposed membrane every couple of hours and she moves a lot when I do that, but if her legs are broken or she can't turn then she won't be able to finish getting out.  When should I assist, and how much should I assist?
I just hatched three chicks. I had to assist two of them. The one I didn't have to assist was very weak and died. I would slowly pick a little of the shell off. If there's blood stop wait a couple hours and try again. With one of my assists, the chick hadn't pipped internally at all by day 21. I saw him rocking like crazy so I put a pip in the shell and then waited for the inner membrane dry a little. Then I located the chicks beak and put a small pip in the membrane so the chick could start breathing.

Back
Top Bottom