Hatching baby keets

brualy

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
I can hear the keet, see the shell is cracked but the membrane has not. It has been like this since yesterday afternoon around 4p. Do I break the membrane to help. How would I do that safely? The humidity level is around 70% and it's been 28 days in the incub.

I'm sorry your question hasn't been answered sooner. I hope the keet has been able to get out. I have had times where the membrane was too tough and I would have to help the keet. This must be done slowly and just tear a tiny piece at a time. once you are more than halfway around the keet should finish pushing out. Stop at the first sign of fresh blood and put the egg back in the incubator. Make sure the keet doesn't get chilled while you are working with it. I use a gooseneck lamp to see what I'm doing and also to keep the baby warm. Good luck.

Thank you for your help! There actually were two keets trying to hatch yesterday - i had to help the one who cracked the shell only. I found other posts and used the advise from all and am glad to say that baby made it. Unfortunately the other keet did not, the membrane plugged the nostril and I didn't notice it in time. This was my first time using an incubator, next time I plan on reading more material prior. The keets are wonderful and beautiful! Thanks again!!!

I have 2 eggs that I can hear them chirping inside of but they haven't started pipping yet. When do I need to intervene in helping them pip, if ever???

The only reason I helped out was because the egg had a section broken but the membrane was still intact. I used warm paper towels to keep the shell warm then started breaking it away. This keet survived but the other did not. Best of luck to you and your babies!

Well sadly 3 of my 5 eggs made it. One of them was chirping but then the next morning was gone. I had them wrapped in a warm rag in the incubator tray.
1f60f.png

I'm not sure you should have wrapped them. That seems like a bad thing to do.

That's what one website had said to do to soften the shell up more so they could pip all the way around easier. Maybe it was a bad choice on my part but it seemed logical at the time. Definitely a lesson learned.

It is always a hard situation when to intervene with the hatching of the babies but I am thankful I helped mine out. I too wrapped the egg in a warm paper towel and helped chip away at the shell until the top portion was removed. The keet was able to take it from there and is thriving! The other egg I was not able to help and that keet did not make it - the membrane adhered to the beak and the keet suffocated. :( One important thing to remember is when helping assist the keets hatch in an incubator, make sure the humidity level is around 70%.

You will receive loads of advice from people on both sides of the debate - use your best judgment and read the posts online. You will learn a lot of helpful information. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom