Hatching / Breeding- when? Genetics and coloring.

chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
D09C642C-9EDC-4978-8B94-BDE835ECF03C.jpeg
1D5DE1B2-3A75-4526-90E2-60572D223ABE.jpeg
Hi all, I have my first rooster. He is 4 months old and has been quite busy with my hens the last few weeks. My hens are all over a year. Is there a specific age that my rooster needs to be to be fertile? Or is he good to go?

Also, I’m wondering how the genetics and coloring will work. I do not know his (he was from a barnyard mix). I do know he has some Gold Laced Orpington in him and he looks similar to the farms Sage/Olive Egger (they have their pure breeds but I ordered their non-purebred hatching eggs). I have attached a photo.

I’m curious if there’s is anyway to know what the chicks would look like with him on a Buff O and on an EE? They are my two sweetest hens and he, as well, is very sweet. I’d love some chicks from them! I also attached a photo of my EE.

Can I just cross breed like that? Are there issues I should be aware of? I’ve only hatched once and never bred before!

Your rooster is a legbar mix. The one behind him could be an orpington mix, but I can't see him too well. You would get a lot of orange chicks from him and that EE or BO. Half of them would be barred.

Back
Top Bottom