Hatching chicks in winter?

Do you let broody chickens hatch eggs in winter?

• Yes

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

lillypurrs23

Songster
9 Years
Sep 6, 2010
So our Cuckoo Maran, Alice, went broody last Friday. She's been sitting on eggs all week, and just perching when there aren't any, waiting for someone to lay. Since we don't have a rooster, the eggs she sits on aren't fertilized, we want to get some fertilized eggs for her to hatch out. We generally keep the coop warm during the winter, and we would have a heat lamp in her broody area, not to mention her keeping the eggs warm. The only issue is my mom is worried about it being winter, and she's worried that they won't survive or something. What do you think about hatching eggs in winter? Advice?

I've had broody hens hatch and raise chicks outdoors in winter with no problems. I was worried too, but they did a great job keeping the little ones warm.

My broody has 2 of 3 eggs developing under her due to hatch in 1 week(I took the undeveloped one out). I am going to be putting 4 silkie chicks under her when her eggs hatch(the silkie breeder's eggs were 4-5 days ahead of mine) from Marge Best.

Nice idea, I too have some eggs in an incubator and I am gonna do the same with them.

I would only put the chicks under a broody hen. Any other will peck and kill them. Even putting them under a broody, she may not accept them. I am going to put mine under her in complete darkness(I have fake eggs under her so she thinks she is setting on a lot of eggs) and I will be in the broody tractor before sunrise to make sure everything goes well. I have my brooder on standby though.

I read someone here put their chicks under a hen who was broody for only a week and was sitting on fake eggs for 5 days and she accepted them
big_smile.png

my broody hen won't take any new eggs she cracks and eats them which was really bad for me because I put half incubated eggs under her with hers.And she won't surrogate new chicks...any ideas on why she's doing this is greatly appreciated .

Thanks,
Michellej

Back
Top Bottom