ReillyB

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
IMG_5370.JPG
So I currently have a Rouen Hen who has been laying an egg a day in her nest and forming the nest each day and it looks like she might be sitting at night. She just laid 12 eggs but I haven't noticed her sitting on them. How do I know if she's going to hatch them herself or if I need to incubate? Also it would be my first time incubating so any suggestions on a good incubator I would appreciate it. I'd like a small one for 10 eggs max. Any tips would be great Photo is the nest yesterday

Do you only have the one hen? They will usually lay until they get as many as they want to sit on, and will eventually spend more and more time on the nest, then they will stop laying, and commence to sitting more consistently.

Depending on how many you have laying, and how many you want to let her sit on, I'd mark them (sharpie marker), candle them, and remove any that are older than about 10-14 days old. Keep the freshest ones out there for her. Don't remove the same amount every day, let her build them up a bit, so you will know when she thinks she has enough. After she commits for a few days, you can remove any that have gotten too old.

Back
Top Bottom