Hatching Eggs By The Moon Thread

2014...? First waxing moon 1/15...I think I'll aim for March-April
I've been away from forum and out of hatching for a few years, hoping to start back this Spring with Faverolles & Barnevelders again. I just have to find eggs available closer to the west coast...shipping cross country was never good for my hatch rate.
Happy New Year All!

Last edited:
Good luck with your batch! We hatch some chicks and sometimes we order from a hatchery
thumbsup.gif

I came across this subject in this year's O.F.A. and did some calculations. Their explanation is that chicks that are hatched in a waxing moon and when the moon is in the signs of Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces are healthier and mature faster. SO, I present the set dates for the spring of 2015.

Feb 25 for March 18/19 hatch

March 6 for a March 27/28 hatch

April 2 for a April 23/24 hatch

April 29 for a May 20/21 hatch

May 9 for a May 30/31 hatch

May 27 for a June 17/18 hatch

June 6 for a June 27/28 hatch

Other set dates exist but I figured these for my benefit and wanted to share.

I came across this subject in this year's O.F.A. and did some calculations. Their explanation is that chicks that are hatched in a waxing moon and when the moon is in the signs of Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces are healthier and mature faster. SO, I present the set dates for the spring of 2015.

Is this dates great around the world?
Waxing means, growing moon or decrescent?

This is interesting. I mean, it makes sense that chicks hatched in spring would be healthier/more vigorous, because the days are long, the vegetation is plentiful, and chickens allowed some pasture or free-range should be at peak nutritional condition and fertility. The moon phases thing is also fascinating. I know phases of the moon can affect animals, so setting eggs according to the moon phase, well it can't hurt anything.

I got interested in this because someone linked this thread in the hatch-a-long board. I'm curious by nature, so I had to read more about it.

When I saw these dates listed, I had to comment. I set my very first batch of incubating eggs on 4/1, so within the window for the third moon phase. Every one of them hatched, on April 22 & 23.

Having such a success got me all fired up to fill the incubator and try again. I had to wait a few days to collect enough eggs. I just put them in the incubator today, April 30th, so right in the window for hatching May 21 or so. And I didn't even plan it that way! I guess we'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom