Hatching Eggs By The Moon Thread

very interesting! will be setting some turkey eggs according to this. so i guess i will have to set them tonight!! let you know in a month if any hatch!

I looked it up on google, but you can also figure it out yourself by when the moon is in the signs of Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces with a waxing moon (I think, see the first page of the thread, I can't go back while in the reply box). I just set for the first time this week and missed the dates I wanted to set since we just moved and I was still getting organized. March 2016 dates were March 22, 23. April 2016's dates are 16, 17 and 24, 25. I haven't written May's in my calendar, but you can google it. Remember, these are setting dates! Hope that helps!

Is there anyone out there still following this? I am intrigued by this. I have always used my alminac to plant my garden and was intrigued to see that you could set eggs using it. I recently hatched 8 chicks that were set by the moon and plan to put more in the bator on June 12 witch is the next favorable day.

ok here we are in Aug..... my June hatch was plagued with incubator issues, I had a heat spike when I went into lockdown had to drop the temp on the display down to 35 c to get it down to 99.5 by then I had lost most of the chicks, went into lockdown with 28 and hatched 4.
got frustrated and started reading about high altitude hatching..... the more I read the more I understood that I was running the humidity too low at around 25%( which is what most people suggest) and that because of my climate and the fact that I am at almost 6000 feet above sea level I needed my humidity higher.
I started my next batch on july 9th with the idea of keeping the humidity at 40%, my incubator would hit 25% or 50% I couldn't seem to get it to hold anywhere in between.........so I ran at 50% and then I added some shipped eggs 4 days later, all the reading I did on hatching shipped eggs suggest that the humidity needs to be higher on shipped eggs so I guess that was in my favor.
then I ordered a new incubator, my husband decided that if I had a good bator that maybe I could get a good hatch and stop hatching because there would be no room for the new ones. so we ordered a brinsea ovation ex 56 fully automatic with the humidity pump. New bator arrived on July 25th I promptly set it up and after running it for two days moved my shipped eggs, and some that were added a little later for a friend, into it and set my old bator up as a hatcher and locked down my July 9th eggs.
18 eggs went into lockdown 4 were DIS, 12 healthy babies, one scissor beak with a single eye that had to be assisted and then died, and one weak one that was a malpo with yolk sack still unabsorbed that died later. All in all I am happy with my july hatch.
Of my shipped Bielefelder Eggs I paid for 12 the guy sent 17, 12 went into lockdown, one was DIS one died during pip, and as of this morn we had 8 running around the brooder with one more out of the shell drying off in the bator and another one working on getting out of the shell still. So for my very first shipped eggs I feel it went well with 10? out of 12.
I will be setting my next and last (for a while ) batch of eggs on the 6th of Aug. I have again gathered eggs from my mixed flock, this time looking for crosses that will produce some meatier boys.

So far, for me, the chicks I have hatched using this method seem to be hardier. No hatching by the moon has not overridden my incubator trouble but the ones that did hatch seem to be growing better and thriving. My understanding is that favorable set dates for August are the 6th and 7th.

Just got my old farmers almanac out and figured out the best dates to set eggs by the moon for jan, Feb, March and April 2018.
Dec 31 and Jan 1
Jan 8& 9 , 26 & 27
Feb 3& 4 , 23
March 3 &4 , 30 & 31
April1 , 8
I plan to put a few in on dec 31st and maybe a hatch in march as I have ordered some new breeds that are due to arrive in feb. And I just hatched our Christmas babies by the moon, And have a few more due new years

Back
Top Bottom