Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only tell you what happened in my case. I called around to all the shelters and they would not take him. It came down to a matter of trust. I'm sure you're researching it now but it comes down to whats best for your family.

It is true. A lot of the county shelters only give bully breeds their 7 days even if they have the room. Most no kill shelters won't take the risk. If he is pure you can try the breed specific rescue but I think they answer may be the same. Unfortunately food aggression is one of the hardest to break.
hit.gif
So sorry.

Oh, that is so sad. I wish you could just explain to animals what the rules were: as long as they behave they get a roof, food, and love.
but your children do come first.

If he hadn't bitten I would suggest hand-feeding all his food for a month (or longer.) It is time consuming, but his food doesn't get put in a dish, only comes from humans.

but now that he has bitten...

I have always made it a point to mess with our dogs food on a regular basis from puppyhood, any kind of growling or aggression is dealt with swiftly...sorry your son was bitten. I know how it feels, I was bitten in the face by a doberman when I was a kid...had a black eye for three weeks. Which is why I won't tolerate an aggressive dog.

So sorry to hear about the aggressive animal issues. They are no fun. I agree that any threat to my family's safety has to go, one way or another. We had a 100 lb. lab who had food issues. Luckily, not with humans or he would have been gone in a heartbeat. But we did see him pick up the cat once and throw him across the room for trying to eat his dogfood. The cat was never the same after that, but did learn to only steal the dogfood when Seamus wasn't looking.

You can get him out of this food problem. Get with a dog trainer and work with him, IF you want to keep him. What bloodline is he from? Contact your breeder as well. Normally this is something you start with from day 1, but it can be done as an adult too.
I can go into this further if you want to PM me. I do have dog training experience. I have trained in Schutzhund, SAR, and Human Recovery for many years. I also was an AKC Cert. trainer for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom